Western Wyoming Deer Report

D. Robert Franz

Jan 6, 2013
Cody, WY
www.franzfoto.com
_D2_5686.jpg_DSR0256.jpg_DSR0581.jpg_DSR9967.jpg_F1X6258.jpg

I just spent a week in Western Wyoming photographing and watching mule deer in a number of areas I've been visiting yearly (at about the same time) for the past 14 years. Hearing the winter kill reports and seeing the area last March with the deep snow pack I wasn't expecting much. I covered lots of ground, about 150 miles a day. I can only go on perceptions since I don't try counting but it was obvious that deer numbers were down. I was still seeing hundreds a day so it wasn't terrible. We talked with WYO G&F personnel working on winter counts and I was told there was 40-50% mortality last winter in some areas. They also claimed 90% fawn mortality. I could believe that to some degree but I did see way more 1 1/2 year old deer (last years fawns) than I expected. I observed lots of small fork horn and spike bucks and young does in family groups with mom and this years fawns. Large bucks were few and far between but may have still been migrating in. We did start to find more large bucks as the week went on. We saw LOTS of smaller bucks 2-3 year olds. Nearly every mature doe had 2 fawns tagging along with her so that was very nice to see. I've attached a few of the better bucks we came across.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Thanks for sharing the pictures and your knowledge of the area/animals. Sounds bad, but that nature is trying to bounce back.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Still seems like the age class and bigger bucks made it through the winter. It will be interesting to see how the 90% fawn mortality rate will show up in mature bucks in the next 3-5 years.