Well it finally happened......I destroyed a gun.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
All I reload for the .300 is Weatherby brass. When I lived in California, I had a friend who worked for Roy Weatherby and he got me the brass, it was all primed, unfired. I actually went to school with Ed & Diane Weatherby. I am pretty sure I know what happened and I'll post a little later.
How many times was this brass re-used?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The brass I use for hunting loads is all once fired.
After mentally going thru the steps I took loading and pulling a couple of bullets and looking and weighing the powder, I am pretty sure I know what happened.

I was out to the range working on new loads 2 weeks ago and had narrowed it down to 2 powders and a couple of loads in each one. I loaded 3 rounds each for groups of 4 different loads in both powders. The loads were increased by 1/2 grain for each different load/powder. 150 grain bullet and RL22 & IMR 4350 powders. RL22 is slower burning than 4350 and takes more powder. I violated one of my rules .....not having more than 1 powder out at a time for loading. I had both powders out and open! The 2 powders are a little different in size and consistancy. When I pulled a couple of the bullets, I saw that I had switched them. As a result the IMR 4350 was overloaded by about 10 grains over max recommended load. It was the first one I shot. Stupid is as stupid does!

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Accidents happen in reloading. I always adhere to the one powder on the bench at a time rule. And I always double check each charge with a digital scale & my RCBS beam scale. And I visually inspect each loaded case before seating a bullet. So far, so good...knock on wood.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Good reason to wear safety glasses (which I seldom do). A few years ago my dad blew up a M700 .223, blew hot gasses and debris into his face, but he wears glasses so he didn’t have any eye issues. Same situation, he likely mixed up powders. Appreciate you sharing and good reminder for us reloaders to be disciplined about 1 powder on the bench at a time.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Lots of great info/reminders/lesson learned here that we all know but get complacent at times with as we get older. ( me included as I need to wear glasses) Makes me think I need to do a back to basics reloading discussion with my son for my peace of mind.

Thanks CC for posting. I greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I am sure glad you figured out what the problem was. I was pretty curious to find out what had happened.
Not knowing what the problem in fact was would be hard for me to cope with if that had been me.
Thanks for sharing this.
At least you have some closure and you are ok!

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Thanks for all the information CC! it’s really good of you to be so transparent, it will hopefully keep someone else (like me) from making similar mistakes. I think the only reason I haven’t done something like this yet is I only use RL22 for all my WBY loads. I could definitely see myself making the same mistake.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Accidents happen in reloading. I always adhere to the one powder on the bench at a time rule. And I always double check each charge with a digital scale & my RCBS beam scale. And I visually inspect each loaded case before seating a bullet. So far, so good...knock on wood.
I do the same thing. I'm almost paranoid when reloading. lol
I'm no expert, but do live everyday with OCD.... o_O

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Crazy!!!

Glad you are fine and figured it out.

Will take this to heart and only load with 1 powder at a time.

memtb

You are fortunate......glad you weren’t seriously hurt. Shooting glasses/eye protection......priceless!

Many years ago I had a somewhat similar situation with the first round out of 20 freshly hand loaded .223 rounds......a load proven for several years. The rifle was not severely damaged, only the extractor to be released. The bolt had to be hammered open....the .223 Rem case had been transformed into a “belted” case! 🤔. I went home, pulled the remaining 19 bullets, weighed each charge ( a double charge impossible, plus I do a visual prior to seating a bullet)....all well. The only thing that I can come up with is that I had a barrel obstruction ( had not cleaned since last outing) ....possibly an insect, such as a “dirt dauber”, had plugged my barrel! memtb

Last edited:

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I'm just glad you are ok. I have a .41 Rem. Mag. and was shooting some reloads at the range. One gave me a heck of a bounce so I stopped. Before I figured out what was going on I ran across a flyer saying not to shoot Green Dot in the .41 mag because of possible pressure spikes. That is what I was shooting so I dumped it all and switched powder.. no problems since.. that would have been about 15 years ago... I was thinking you might have had a similar problem but it sounds like you have figured it out...