Waterproof Test

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
get wet:) seriously though, feel up the bath tub a few inches and get in. what boots you have? new ones?

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
I check mine after every outing, filling them with water. The water weight will provide slight pressure and it won't take too long to find a leaker. Every boot I've owned over the last 25 years have leaked.
Salomon Quest's; two week elk hunt, one week antelope hunt, and 2 weekends scouting for this years antelope.

Last edited:

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
get wet:) seriously though, feel up the bath tub a few inches and get in. what boots you have? new ones?
I got some Lowa's coming in the mail and was wondering how to make sure the goretex is good on them before I wear them outside and can't return them. I heard that you should stick them in something with water as high as the goretex would be and then wait and see if they leak. I'm just not sure how long your suppose to wait.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Set the boots in a bucket or tub of water for 30 minutes. If there is a hole, it will not take long. Water always finds a way, as they say.
I disagree with pouring the water inside the boot as this is a good way to break down the interior padding, gluing, etc...
I know you sweat in them, but filling with water is just asking for problems. They are designed to keep water out, not hold it in. I am sure it will hold it, but just say... Now if they are all rubber boots, then fill'em up! :)
Just my $0.02

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Also continue to wax your boots as you use them to keep them water proof. I wax mine about twice a year, once at the beginning of scouting and once again before the first trip in the late fall/winter when the snow flies.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I usually keep my boots wax/greased up good.

Bob, I like your idea, but I got water inside boots before and they always stunk no matter what I did.

Thanks for the suggestions.

heartsticker

Jul 29, 2015
Gor-tex is made to let water out and not in. Only put waterproofing on that is made by or recommended by that manufacturer. I spray mine Danners once a year and they are always good to go.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Gore-Tex is made to allow air molecules to pass thru and water molecules to be stopped. Direction doesn't matter or the membrane wouldn't "breathe".