Warmest socks or boots for cold weather sits

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
What has anyone found or used out there for the warmest socks or boots. Been putting in long hours in the bow stand with windchills down to -10 and everything is warm besides my feet. Dang I hate having frozen toes. I run a pair of sorels with Duluth trading post heavy socks. Also been using my lacrosse 1200g. I also have a pair of overshoes that I haven’t broke out yet and may need to. Everyone’s input is appreciated.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have always thought that if I had to sit in those kind of conditions that I would get some of those heavly insulated booties that go over your regular boots.

If you have never seen them they look like a parka for your feet and they are just for sitting and perhaps standing up to go to the bathroom but no walking

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I grew up in Northern Wisconsin, without injecting heat its a losing battle at those temps. Battery heated socks, insulated pull over boots like JimP mentioned will help. I did do one thing that helped i guess that I kind of forgot about i wrapped a 1" foam insulation in carpet and zip tied it to the foot portion of my tree stand, helped keep the cold from setting in as fast. Good luck!

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I don't know, I feel like you can spend a lot of money on thick, bulky socks and boots that never quite live up to it, but a pair of toe warmers has never failed me... Maybe I'm just a simple minded guy who likes simple solutions...

Reactions: boiler and mosquito

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Dryshod Artic Storm Extreme Cold Boots

Yeah I know not socks. Ive worn Sorrels and these for 3 winters in Maine. They far out performed the Sorrels.

I wear these on the coldest of cold days in the goose pit or duck blind with medium weight socks.

If i get so cold that these dont work ( never have) then toe warmers.😃

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
My feet would get cold after long sits in the tree stand in NE Minnesota. I had gotten my Sorrels wet on opener a few years ago, so put on a pair of Lacrosse Iceman pack boots. There are designed for ice fishing and have an extra thick insulated sole, as well as fold out ice cleats. They worked as advertised, but are far heavier than the average pac boot. I did what go_deep did and insulate the floor of the stand, and am good to go.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
There is a company that offers socks labeled Darned Tough. Heard rumblings from other hunting web sites that they were well liked. Check them out. TD
I use Darn Tough socks and they are awesome! But if you only use DT socks with your situation your feet will be cold.
I also have cold toes all the time and hate it. Only thing I can do is go for a hike to get them warmed up. I’ve tried electric socks before and they work ok, but only while glassing. Hiking in E socks is a no go for me.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have always thought that if I had to sit in those kind of conditions that I would get some of those heavly insulated booties that go over your regular boots.

If you have never seen them they look like a parka for your feet and they are just for sitting and perhaps standing up to go to the bathroom but no walking
I use the booties over my regular insulated boots when I'm in the goose blind. The work great. They are light weight and waterproof. I also have a pair of battery powered heated sox. Mine are pretty old, but still work. The only thing that I have a problem with is that they use a D battery, which is pretty big and heavy. Maybe the newer ones use a smaller battery.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'd be leery of ones with smaller batteries, they wouldn't have the staying power unless the bunny was beating the drum next to them 🐰

Reactions: marcusvdk

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I used to pile on a liner sock, then heavy socks and jammed my feet in to waders to hunt the marsh. Not super cold temps, but when you are standing in waist deep water for 3-4 hours, it gets cold.

I figured out my sock layers were limiting air flow around my feet, and causing me to sweat. Moisture = cold. I moved to wool blend medium weight socks and did much better.

As I have gotten older have relied more on the chemical hand and feet warmers. Work wonders! My brother had the battery powered heated socks back in the day...I didn't like the strip under my toes.

Ice fishing boots sounds like a good suggestion. Also like the idea of the over-boots, or "boot-blankets." Good luck!

Reactions: mosquito

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I still like the toe warmers or hand warmers. If im planning on sitting after a long hike i take extra socks in a ziplock bag and change them when i get to my spot (dry ) then put the sweaty socks in the bag . Then hand warmers and sometimes another pair of socks. We used to do a winter camping trip in February every year when i was younger and dumber sometimes down to 20 - . Insulation pad , good sleeping bag and hand warmers on the inside.... same theory. Its amazing how well they will as long as you active them 5 min or so before but i think dry socks are more import than anything. If your boots are not taken care of and not protected properly, or the don't breath correctly or your feet just sweat more than adverage its a loosing battle until they're dry

Reactions: Daubs

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
don't wear tight boots when sitting. cuts off blood flow and you would probly be about as well off with sandals.

Reactions: Daubs

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
The bunny boots BETA.. I don't think they make them any more but I could be wrong... Use a merino wool liner w/ a heavy wool thorlo sock. I would 1 size bigger to let circulation around my foot and ankle and to let moisture out of the top.. I would ice fish with this set up up to 8 hours @ -25

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I’ve been fighting this battle for years! I’ve experimented with all sorts of different options. I feel sitting in a stand, all day, my toes are going to get cold. It’s weird, but the more of a insulated boot I wear, my feet get cold faster. My toes stay warmer if a wear a lighter boot. I figured that out at work. Maybe my feet sweat more with the heavier boot? I just started to wear a midweight boot, good merino sock, and a toe warmer. That seems to keep my feet the most comfortable for the all day stand sits.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015

Buy you a heated vest while your at it.

Trust me on this one.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming

Buy you a heated vest while your at it.

Trust me on this one.
My brother bought one that uses a lithium Dewalt drill battery, he said it lasts all day long. He sits all day long in a tree stand now with the battery socks and vest.