Wanna update my muzzle loader i have a 10 year old TC encore
wondering what people are shootin and like
looking at a traditions or cva dont know much about them
heard tc are hit and miss on accuracy
thanks

BobT

Dec 1, 2011
Missouri Ozarks
My Encore is older than yours, I really haven't found any other inline that I like as well and I have tried a bunch. I have never had any accuracy problems with mine either but I did take great pains to find the most accurate bullet and load. For me, a 250 grain QT and 120 grains (volume) of loose 777 is the most accurate. I also have converted a breech plug to use a cut down .25 acp case and a small rifle primer instead of a 209 primer, this improved accuracy slightly and there is no more blow back fouling in the action like there is with the 209 primers.

Bob

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a TC Black Diamond .50 inline (209 primer) that I bought in a pawn shop for 100.00 several years ago. TC does not make it anymore, but it shoots great. I'm keeping it!!

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
I have a TC Omega. Once I got it zeroed in, i love it. That thing is accurate and deadly! It was a pain in the ass to sight it in though. I was initially trying to shoot powerbelts out of it but after shooting nearly 50 of those things and still getting no kind of grouping I switched to the Barnes sabots and got it sighted in within 5 shots. Took 2 muleys and one bull elk this season. I also had a TC Diamondback before and it shot the powerbelts well, that being the reason I tried them with my new TC, but the Omega just didn't like them. My 2 cents....

beartracks

Jan 15, 2012
....tc's can be pure hell trying to get conicals to shoot in them. Pretty sad when the company has zero faith in conicals in their gun and advises you not to bother trying.
+1

I've owned a bunch of TC's over the years. Two years ago I bought a Triumph for a backpack elk hunt because its a nice, lightweight gun. Tried sighting it in, and couldn't get it on paper at 25 yards. I look down the barrel and its got a kink in it to the right about 8" from the end! I called TC, and sent it back (along with the little slip of paper from the "inspector" thanking me for my purchase and saying it met all their quality standards). I call them up and they said they could straighten it, and I said, no, I'd really like a new one, thanks, and told them the gun better have a new serial number on the barrel when I receive it.

Get the new gun and am excited to sight it in and prep it. Tried a bunch of powders, primers, clean/fouled barrel etc. behind Hornady FPB's and no luck, 8" groups at 100 was the best it could do. Tried a variety of Powerbelts, MaxiHunters, Great Plains, PR Bullets, No Excuses bullets, and still no luck. Bought some .501" Thor bullets and got 1.5" groups at 100 with a scope on the gun. HOWEVER, I could not adjust my peep sight enough to move the group down with open sights (Colorado elk tag) and couldn't use the Thor bullets because they grouped 12" high at 100 and I had no peep adjustment left, and no time to buy a different front sight.

All the while, this gun will shoot any sabot bullets under 2" whether it is clean or dirty. So I call TC and ask their technical support if they knew WHY the gun wouldn't shoot a conical, and the guy I talked to said I should try their sabots. I explained I'm hunting Colorado and they are not legal. He said he had never heard of conical bullets, and I explained that you sell them they are called MaxiHunters. Whatever.

So, I ended up with 3"+ groups shooting 90 grains of Blackhorn 209, CCI mag primer, and 338gr Powerbelt out of the dirtiest bore you could possibly imagine. I figured if the gun rusted to hell during the 9 day backpack hunt I didn't care because I was done with it after that hunt anyway.

Final tally, about 2 pounds of 777, 3 cans of Blackhorn 209, and untold pounds of expensive lead down range and additional hair loss I cannot afford. Really frustrating. I'm guessing its the QLA system that's the problem, but I'm really not sure. Some guys have had success cutting it off. In the end, its just cheaper and easier to buy anything other than a TC if you are an elk hunter that needs to shoot conicals. Its a fine deer rifle with sabots, but that's about it.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate to see anyone else go through the same thing, and I don't believe this was a one off situation. My hunting partner had the same problems with an identical gun, and you read plenty on the forums where TC's won't shoot conicals.

Best of luck to ya!

BT

CoBackcountry

Mar 8, 2011
Castle Rock Co
thanks everyone it does group well with the maxi hunters
i may keep it and really work up a good load with power belts or the new hornadays lookin to shoot a little flater
not allowed to throw any sabots at elk here in Co

Jul 28, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Beartracks, I had Terrible luck with the Hornady FPB's as well. Such bad luck that I will never buy anything with Hornady written on it again. Absolute junk!!!

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I have a Knight disc extreme. It has always shot well including Hornady FPB's i switched to last year for colorado. We also put it under water for 45 minutes (mostly because my friend said it would never shoot after that like knight claimed) and it shot just fine!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
If I was looking for a new muzzleloader I'd try to pick up the savage 10 ml II. But you better hurry, this is the last year of manufacturing for this rifle or any muzzleloader from savage.