Vortex vulture hd 15x56 arrived

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
After lots of research, and a lot of skepticism, I purchased the Vortex vulture hd 15x56. The rokslide review sold me on them. I had spent a lot of time glassing with nothing to show for it, except for busting game from where I just glassed. My previous setup was a simmons 20-60x60 spotting scope, and 10x42 bushnells. In low light, both of those fail at even small distances. I was well past due for an upgrade, since I was basically wasting money hunting for high country mullies by handicapping myself.

I tried to get a pair of vortex kaibabs 15x56, but my budget was too low. I looked at swaroski slc 15x56 in a store and wow, they are of course better than the vultures. Again, budget. My thought was with votex's warranty, trading up will be easy since they seem to hold value well. I also looked at the 15x50 vortex viper hd and was unimpressed. The fov, brightness, and smaller glass did not feel right. The extra 6mm was key to seeing at 15x.

First impressions, the feel is nice in hands. Adjustment dials arent silky smooth, but they work fine. Once dialed in, you can tell they are still high quality. The glass is good-very good. Not great, not jaw dropping like swaroski, but very good. I have no doubts that Ill be able to look a mile away and spot something. I have only tested them in daylight, so ill follow up with low light impressions soon.

For just under 400 bucks, I couldnt be happier. I did buy a binocular to tripod adapter, not knowing it came with one, so now I have 2. Oh well. For me, counting points doesnt matter, I just want to fill the freezer first. My whole backcountry gear setup cost around 2500, including gun... The price was appropriate for my budget, style of hunting, and current situation. Unless these things just suck in low light, which I highly doubt, they have my recommendation for those of us who cant swing the fancy glass, and sole purpose is to locate game.&

Nebraska Outlander

Sep 6, 2011
I looked at the Vultures in the store and looked the glass but I didn't like the position of the focus that aligns the two eye pieces together which right next to the main focus. My thought was it would be in the way when you have gloves on and would take things out of alignment. I thought glass was good but not the function of focus.

Keep us updated on your thoughts of the binos they still interest me.

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
You are correct on the two dials being right next to each other, one of which you want to set and forget. The set n forget dial seems to be a little stiffer, but Ill keep my eye on it for future reviews. Ill be out sunday in the field and will have an update on its low light aspects, along with general thoughts. More to come!

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
Spent some time scouting this weekend, and so far Im extremely happy with these nocs. Clarity of the glass is great, with just a little fuzziness around the edges. Didnt bother me due to their 3.7mm exit pupil, and wide fov. On a tripod, it makes glassing a breeze. I could see the details of objects in the shadows at a half mile during the day so Im confident not much will be able to hide from me now. Opening weekend of CA rifle season is in 5 days, so I will give another update on its low light quality soon. Hopefully theres some pics of success to go with that update!!!

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
Spent some time scouting this weekend, and so far Im extremely happy with these nocs. Clarity of the glass is great, with just a little fuzziness around the edges. Didnt bother me due to their 3.7mm exit pupil, and wide fov. On a tripod, it makes glassing a breeze. I could see the details of objects in the shadows at a half mile during the day so Im confident not much will be able to hide from me now. Opening weekend of CA rifle season is in 5 days, so I will give another update on its low light quality soon. Hopefully theres some pics of success to go with that update!!!

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
Got some good time behind the glass this weekend. Only saw one little buck so need to find a better area, and work on my glassing technique I think. Still, super impressed with these nocs! I could see clearly in low light, even to the edges! I found that the focus dials are easily distinguishable, and I never got them confused. I did learn that slight adjustments are absolutely needed with the main dial to keep the edges clear when changing distances. For less than $400, i feel i made a great buy, and vortex made great nocs for guys with a limited budget. When I meet someone with way nicer glass, ill compare them, but until then, these already have my full confidence!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I hated my 12X50's so bad that the second time I sent them back for an alignment issue I put a note with it that if they sent me the same ones back again that I was going to cut them in half with my chop saw then see if they could fix them.... They sent a new pair of 12X and they are really nice. Im not sure what was wrong with the first ones but they really sucked.

Nebraska Outlander

Sep 6, 2011
Lol "cut them in half with a chop saw" that's funny well I've been trying to decide whether to get those or a viper spotter.

I mostly hunt Nebraska just not sure when I'll. Need simmering bigger.

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
Nebraska, Im still liking them a lot! Biggest issue is they are hard to use at distances of only a few hundred yards! Ill be using them on a pig hunt here in 2 weeks. Glad I went with the big eyed 15x56 over something smaller. Definitely an optic that needs mounting. It did break the first vortex mount that came with it. Binos fell off with no issues luckily. I have it on a monopod now for ultralight pack-ins, even though the binos are heavy!! Anything else you wanna know, just ask!

One benefit to vortex is the resale value if you dont like them.