Vortex Diamondback spotting scope

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I am trying to decide between the 20-60x60mm and 20-60x80mm. I have read a lot of reviews. Most are positive, but a few say above 40 power hard to focus. Hard to tell which glass they are talking about as it seems they are all bunched together. $500.00 is my max budget really above it, but I do not have spotting scope. I plan to use out West on mule deer and antelope. I hope I can reduce some travel distance by using glass instead of my feet. This purchase will be of no use to me hunting my home state. Might help at the range. So if you have experience with either of these please let me know.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Not a big fan of the 20-60x60. You lose to much at the top end with the small objective. In this case the 60x80 be better, but prob 1lb heavier.
I'd look at some other brands and see if you can find a better ratio on objective, but I think you'll be disappointed with the top end clarity of the 20-60.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Not a big fan of the 20-60x60. You lose to much at the top end with the small objective. In this case the 60x80 be better, but prob 1lb heavier.
I'd look at some other brands and see if you can find a better ratio on objective, but I think you'll be disappointed with the top end clarity of the 20-60.
Any good glass in other brands at the $500.00 price range. I have been very pleased with my prior diamondback binoculars.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
It’s honestly going to be tough to find something in that price range that you’re gonna be happy with. You’re gonna need a budget of 1000 to pick up something that’s gonna work adequately or possibly $700 - $800 for something on the used market in my humble opinion.

Reactions: kidoggy

Travis Horner

Feb 28, 2020
Powell, WY
Up until recently I was a big fan of the budget friendly Vortex. I decided to save up and pick up something better. If you haven't looked through SIG, you might be missing out on a sweet option. I won't go back; gave the Vortex to the wife :cool:

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
If your budget is $500, I think of three options. The first being a vortex 11/33/50 spotter, I own one which would be closer to $700. The second is save for the spotter you want. The third option is look at Maven bigger Bino’s on a tripod, they are in your price range. Good luck.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you don't mind buying used check out these sites. The Vortex still carry the full lifetime warranty even after being refurbished. But you have to wonder just how many are sent in for them to have a store to sell the optics?

https://aaoptics.com/

Then there is always the Texas Bino man who carries used higher end optics.

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
If you don't mind buying used check out these sites. The Vortex still carry the full lifetime warranty even after being refurbished. But you have to wonder just how many are sent in for them to have a store to sell the optics?

https://aaoptics.com/

Then there is always the Texas Bino man who carries used higher end optics.

Dont know about vortex spotters but had to send a scope back, and a buddy had to send two back they honored the warranty but what a pain in the ass. Look at the natchez ss catalog of all the refurbished nikon stuff makes a guy wonder.

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
This would be your best bet if you can find one. They just came out with a gen 2 (UHD) for $599 but the gen 1 is well below $500 now. No fault warranty.

Athlon Ares HD 15-45×65

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
My razor vortex spotter 65mm is the only thing from them I haven’t sent back yet. You will use the warranty. Viper scope has been back twice. Diamondback binos once and they sent new. The new ones are falling apart too. I would feel bad selling them to someone. I would find a user Razor spotter or look for a user Nikon 50mm. Optics is where I’m dropping my money one next for hunting, after I get a new shelter

William Gimson

Dec 23, 2019
Colorado
Try Diamondback Tactical in cse you are decided to purchase Vortex Scope.
Scope parallax stay set and eye piece focus is cery smooth..really. Turret adjustments are smooth with positive clicks...Also I am happy to get the simple zero reset feature for the budget. (Pity it does not have a reset stop.) At first, the Diamondback seemed a bit heavy and unreasonably long, but mounted almost perfectly on my Weatherby 270 WSM. Balances great with my rifle and looks nice. Scope MOA reticle at first seemed a little complicated, but due to its first focal plane configuration adjusts with each change in magnification, stays constant to calibrations, and is easy to learn to use. The reticle markings are very accurate and it not a problem to shoot precisely out to 600 yds. (I don't have access to a longer range.)
And there are always more mid-range scopes for your budget https://wildproofgear.com/best-scopes-under-500/

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Anyone have experience with Konus 7122 20x60x100mm spotting scope?
Just for update I purchased this spotting scope. I have no experience with other brands. I have used it a few times on hunts out West. It did a good job and for the money (less than $250.00). When I first got it I went to the river bottoms where I can see open distance. I was able to spot two turkeys that I could not see with my eyes at over 1,000 yards. When I zoomed out to 60 power I could see their beards. The glass seems clear and it has a sun shield that pulls out. The plus is it allows me to view objects at twice the distance now.
They are rather large and front heavy. You must have a extra sturdy tripod. When standing up in heavy wind it was shaky. It works great sitting on about half extended tripod. I have a hunt coming up in New Mexico that will be the real test. I will try to remember to update cause I will be glassing a lot and a lot of distance.

Reactions: Hilltop

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I think you made the right choice. I have no experience with the one you bought however... I went on my first trip west this year and within two days of getting home my vortex diamondback spotter was on craigslist and sold . I wasn't happy with it at all. Sorry for the late response and i hope it works well for you