Virgin Galactic's "Spaceflight".

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just finished watching Virgin Galactic's flight today. I was not impressed! I heard a CNN commentator compare the mothercraft/passenger craft to the Space Shuttle. I was a little insulted. I worked on the Apollo and Space Shuttle Programs and know how complex and difficult it was to accomplish what we did. Comparing this effort with the Shuttle is like comparing a Ford Model T to a current Formula racecar. About all they share in common is wheels!

IMHO this was just an ego stunt by a billionaire.

Rant over!

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
I think it's a step in the right direction. But it doesn't make it to the Karman line and cannot remain in orbit. $250,000 for 10 minutes of weightlessness.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It would be nice to be in a position where you could spend that kind of money for a carnival ride.

They were talking about these stunts a couple of weeks ago. The facts that I liked were about the X-15 project and a few others that did the same thing. They also discussed just how far up you needed to go to actually reach "outer space" Some claim it is only 50 miles while others claim it is 62 miles. In Branson's case he reached a altitude of around 53 miles.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I am content to stay on this planet craphole that it may be and am pretty sure there will be no affordable rides in my lifetime anyhow.

it would be cool to eventually have burials in space and do away with mortuaries and cemetarys.
no more lethal injections . simply send an inmate out the airlock and be done with it

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I got in to working on the shuttle and space station at the end of their runs. Really cool tech.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Today its rides, tomorrow we will be dumping trash up there...

I commend responsible space exploration but I dont feel that it should be available as a carnival ride.

There is so much still unknown about space and our atmosphere surrounding planet earth that I fear if something truly catastrophic happens up there it could cause adverse effects for our planet that are irreversible.

Conspiracy theorist? Maybe...maybe not.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Today its rides, tomorrow we will be dumping trash up there...

I commend responsible space exploration but I dont feel that it should be available as a carnival ride.

There is so much still unknown about space and our atmosphere surrounding planet earth that I fear if something truly catastrophic happens up there it could cause adverse effects for our planet that are irreversible.

Conspiracy theorist? Maybe...maybe not.
good place to get rid of our plastic problem

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
Maybe i am the only one seeing this angle. years ago it took countries to build ships that went to space. Today people can build them.
Kind of cool in my mind. But i don't begret people for taking chances and working there asses off and becoming multi billonairs. Let them play at that level, someone needs to, especially today.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Maybe i am the only one seeing this angle. years ago it took countries to build ships that went to space. Today people can build them.
Kind of cool in my mind. But i don't begret people for taking chances and working there asses off and becoming multi billonairs. Let them play at that level, someone needs to, especially today.
I agree in general with what you are saying. But, I don’t understand how certain companies seem to be exempt from antitrust and monopoly laws. I worked in a dying industry and every time a couple of companies would try to combine in order to stay alive the government would step in and screw up the deal. As a result a lot of those companies no longer exist.