Video Camera

muleykiller

Jan 2, 2012
hyde park utah
I want to start videoing all my hunts and friends hunts... I was looking at getting something with great production capabilities and ease of use, plus a powerful magnification... but I don't know where to start... I've been looking at getting a canon xf300 with all the goodies and don't know if it is the best, or middle of the road.. If anyone has any input it would be great....

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Go pros are great. I have seen shows like gold rush on discovery and Tim burnett on solo hunters tv loves them also. They are for a certain time and place though. They are considered a field of view cam so If you are looking to film a hunt solely using them it is not the best choice due to lack of zoom etc. they are great to mount onto things to film walking, you in a stand etc...

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Yeah, the Go Pros are cameras for fun, but he Canon mentioned above is a broadcast quality camera made for feature/TV production.

I have been filming my hunts with a point-and-shoot Sony and digiscoping for long-distance shots. I think it has been working pretty well. I have considered a wearable Go Pro style camera to supplement my footage.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
Another good thing about Go Pros are that they and waterproof with the housing that comes with the camera. I use them for fly fishing and showing the fish releases underwater too. You do see a lot of Go Pros being used on TV these days but mostly on tight closeup shots. They come with that wide angle lens fish eye look and they can mount to just about anything. They kind of lack in showing any distance shots. Even though they come in HD, they don't have the best lens or filming quality. For those other shots that one perhaps might want I use an additional Sony HD Handycam but there are a lot of options.

I agree Campbell cameras, http://www.campbellcameras.com/ is a good resource for guys that want to film their own outings and or get some ideas on what application or level they want to get into. The equipment and technology is getting better and better each day so even the new lower end medium level cameras coming out do a pretty good job at capturing the events.

I work at Apple Inc. so I use a Mac and their film editing software, Final Cut Pro and iMovie. I think it works well for me and it is pretty user friendly but I'm kind of biased not have tried anything else out there. I've worked at Apple now since 1987 so I'm not much good on a PC.:) The film editing game is whole another part of the equation. Transitions, effects, sound, color correction, ect... For me that part is real fun. It all starts in getting the shots on camera though.