Venison Pork breakfast sausage

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Over the last several decades I have tried just about every recipe and blend I can get my hands on for breakfast sausage. The latest I stumbled upon is the Old Style Breakfast Sausage seasoning from Frisco Spices. While The packet will season 25 pounds of straight pork, Im using a venison pork mix.

While the packet suggests 5 pounds of pork jowl and 20 pounds of venison, I like mine a little fattier. (It is breakfast sausage after all) and the pork adds moisture and flavor. Its really up to you and your tastes.

I ground the two meats together through a 3/8th plate and then mixed the seasoning packet with 2 cups of cold water to help distribute the spices more evenly.

Then the meat, spices and water got a spin in the mixer.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
The next step after mixing is to grind the meat again through a finer plate. This time its an 1/8th inch plate.

The meat can be stuffed in casings to make links or bulk packed and the tubes sliced to make patties. Im bulk packing this batch.

After a night in the freezer I take a tube out to slice and fry to check out the grind and the flavoring (and to have breakfast)

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Im pleased with the flavor of the Frisco Spices breakfast sausage. If I were to change anything for the next batch it would be to add a bit of crushed red pepper flakes since I like a little heat in my breakfast sausage.

So as to leave no stone unturned I also tried Hi Mountain so I ordered a 60 pound case of boneless pork picnic shoulders. I took 30 pounds of venison out of the freezer so I could make a 60 pound batch of breakfast sausage because I mix the Venison and pork 50-50. Then I cut up a few of the pork shoulders into small pieces for grinding.

Then ground them together.

I mixed it with a quart of cold water and 4 tablespoons of crushed red pepper flakes for some heat and pour it over the meat and mix/blend the spices into the meat by hand.

Then I grind it again through a smaller plate.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Then I convert the grinder into a stuffer and bulk pack it.

Life is too short to eat venison steak alone. Mix it up.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
The problem I've had with making large batches of sausage is freezer burn from not eating it soon enough. When I make breakfast sausage, I buy the cheap Walmart breakfast sausage in the chubs. Then I ground up deer or elk and mix it with the Walmart sausage. This gives me a leaner product which I favor for health reasons. I also add in some Hi Country seasoning so the spices aren't diluted. This is a good way to do it if you only want to make a few pounds at a time and don't want to mess with a lot of clean up...

fireguy2163

Nov 1, 2014
If you like spicy breakfast sausage look into REO spice out of Huntsville Texas there old fashioned #8 breakfast mix. Great spice and very affordable.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I have made breakfast sausage with deer, pork, and beef fat. Sounds strange but its really good! I made antelope breakfast sausage too!