Venison burger with organs

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I give my uncle deer burger almost every year. He loves it. He asked me what I do with the heart and liver and told him him I leave them in the field. He asked if the heart and liver good be added to the burger. I never thought about it but I guess you can. Has anybody ever done this and if so can you taste the liver in the burger?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
When I use to get a a beef butchered I had all the organs ground in with the burger, I never noticed. Key to it probably is putting in small amounts of the organs with the meat scraps.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
to each their own . I wouldn't eat that crap unless I were starving . in which case I would eat the south end out of a north bound rino!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I do put the heart in when I make burger, making sure to cut the fat off of it first. We quit eating liver a number of years ago when liver flukes became common and one of the shack members did a horrible job of cooking it. Nothing less appealing than a burned liver that bleeds all over your plate when you cut into it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
We had a person with us one year that thought that you needed to make liver chips in order to eat it. You should of heard him scream when I was cutting it in about 1/2" slices before I dredged it into the flour. He wanted it cut up paper thin. But then once he started to eat the thicker slices he actually liked it.

I'll usually brown it in a little bit of oil along with the onions and then place it onto very low heat and place the lid onto the pan. and lit it simmer for quite a while. Comes out nice and tender...

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I never played around with the liver but when I was a kid at hunting camp we would fry up deer heart for breakfast whenever we could. You would not notice the heart at all in burger. I have never been a fan of liver of any kind so I can't comment on that.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Personally, I would never add the organs to my burger.

I do eat deer liver. One time a year. No more that 1 time though.

When my grandparents were alive they would eat as much deer liver as we could give them.

The both lived to be in their late 80's so maybe there is something to it. lol

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
imho.... it's better to die at twenty then live past 80 eatin liver. :D

JMHONMNL

my dad and brother were liver eaters , I always found it very nasty!

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I skip the liver only out of superstition. In the unlikely event the animal has consumed anything tainted/polluted it's going to be most concentrated there. (I would NEVER eat a fish liver but that's just me.) But I do save the heart, and the tongue as well. Not a shill for this book in any way, but there are some great recipes and preparation details in Buck Buck Moose by Hank Shaw. Great book. The heart and tongue need good preparation but are delicious if you use it right.

IMO I wouldn't grind it. It doesn't cook at quite the same rate as the rest of the meat so it can give you an odd texture in burger (unless it's really well distributed).

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Eating organs is a topic on The MeatEater Podcast, EP. 239: Kale Does Not Love You Back. Interesting listen if you have a couple hours. For me, there will NEVER be a deer, antelope, elk liver that makes it home. I had to eat deer liver as a kid and used to smother it in ketchup and mustard so much my mom threatened to just give me a bowl of ketchup for dinner. I called her on it and was in heaven knowing that day I was not eating liver that day. Heart on the other hand, I have cut up, wrapped in bacon fried then baked. I also have breaded it and just fried it. I don't mind it but I am noticing I have been passing over those packages in the freezer so I am thinking going forward that organ will be left on the mountain as well.