Utah General Archery

Muleyslayer

Feb 21, 2011
Anyone hunting the general archery hunt in Utah this year. What has your experience been on that hunt?

BIGJOHNT

Feb 22, 2011
Utah
Last year the archery tags sold out during the draw. So those that put down Archery as there second choice didn't get a tag. So if you really want to hunt archery make it your first choice. This may also be the last year of the state wide archery hunt in Utah.

Muleyslayer

Feb 21, 2011
non res... had Book Cliffs in 2008 so my waiting period is over so I was hoping to get points rolling again and still have a chance at a hunt there. Thinking South East??

Attachments

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Muleyslayer, if you happen to draw don't overlook the extended unit on the Wasatch, I bow hunt for Muleys but don't really hunt until November when the bucks start to Rut. If you draw look me up.

Sharpstick

Mar 1, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Always have hunted the general archery hunt here in Utah. It's treated me pretty good over the years. Less people, warm weather, great challenge and it lasts longer than five days.

Adamthebowhunter

Feb 23, 2011
Utah
This year is my first year applying for general archery. I am excited because of the number of big bucks that are taken while archery hunting.

RobinHood

Feb 27, 2011
Henderson, NV
I am a NV resident, but prefer the Ut general hunt.

Like it has been mentioned, a little HW and you can find some quality spots.

Plus, the Wasatch Extended hunt is a real bonus. If you dont tag out, you can hunt that area until mid- December. That is tough country, but the rewards can be huge.

zachbow

Feb 21, 2011
Arco, Idaho
Hunted it last year and saw some nice bucks, wish I would have had more time to hunt it, but I had a mountain goat to attend too. Cant wait to go do the Utah general again.

hubba20

Mar 9, 2011
Southern Nevada
Do your homework, and you can kill a nice buck. Don't do your homework, and you'll be going home empty handing most likely, or with a little forked horn lol...

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Muleyslayer will do fine, he does his home work, and will work hard to connect on a mature animal. I'm excited to see what he might end up with at the end of the season.

Muleyslayer

Feb 21, 2011
Thanks Guys and thanks RUTTIN!

I have been pounding the forums and talking to my frineds at Hoyt and throughout the west. I belive it will be a physically challenging hunt (just the way I like it) but I am a firm believer in "the harder I work the luckier I get!"

With all of the great bucks showing up in EBJ last year that came form the general hunt... I am stoked.

Muley

801archer

Mar 27, 2011
I use the opener as a camping experience and hang out with the fam. will do a few short lived hunts but just enjoy the mountains. After the opener i get serious on the extended archery range but its fairly brutal all hiking, pack it in pack it out so it helps to prepare for it but I always see a lot of good bucks its just a matter of closing the distance. This is a no brainer but scouting is key most of utahs units have good bucks you just have to stay off the atv and go a little further than the other guy. Good luck this year I cant wait!