Utah Bear suggestions

bux4brainz

Jul 18, 2017
Utah
I have 15 bear points for Utah as a resident but can't decide what unit/hunt/season to apply for. Up until last year I have only applied for points. I think I can draw just about any bear tag in Utah, aside from a couple of the multi-season hunts. I can't afford an outfitter so I'll be going at it DIY & most likely just spot & stalk. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have seen more bear out in the Book Cliffs than I have any other place in Utah.

There are also quite a few up on the Manti.

bux4brainz

Jul 18, 2017
Utah
Thank you Jim. Perhaps I'll do the multi-season tag there. Have you personally been on a bear hunt on the Bookcliffs?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I haven't been on a bear hunt but I have been on plenty of deer and elk hunts out there and just about every time out there I have seen bears. I have always seen bear sign when I didn't see the bear. One of the biggest black bears that I have ever seen I saw out there but that was back in 95, I watched him as he made his way through some oak brush and when he would stand up on his hind legs it appeared that he was pushing 8-9 feet tall. I also saw one track years ago of a bear that we pushed out of a draw while deer hunting. The only track that I have seen that would compare to it was a grizzly track that I saw up in British Colombia.

Also when I was on my LE elk hunt some hounds men turned their dogs loose on a bear shortly after I had shot my elk.

bux4brainz

Jul 18, 2017
Utah
I too have been on some deer & elk hunts on the Bookcliffs. That is one of my favorite places to go. I love it down there! Some trips I saw several bears. Other trips I saw zero. I'd sure like to see your bull from the Books if you're willing to share it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Book Cliffs LE bull

He is a 6x6 with the devils horn on the right antler. He scored 343 gross. I shot him at 7:05 on opening morning

bux4brainz

Jul 18, 2017
Utah
Beautiful bull. Congrats. Thanks for sharing. I love that devil tine. What weapon did you use? I have 15 elk points & am always tempted to apply for the Bookcliffs, mainly because I know it but, I keep ending up applying for some of the top tier units instead. I've seen some great bulls on the Books.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I used my 340 Weatherby shooting 225 grain X bullet at 3000 fps. I shot him at the head of Wiilow Creek just north of Ten Mile Knoll