Urgent Update - Winter Storm Coming!

D.Turvey Jr

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Feb 11, 2014
Powell, WY
Here in northern Wyoming we had an October snowstorm that was more than enough to flutter the heartstrings of the most pessimistic and hardened waterfowler. We had about 8” of snowfall in a 10-hour period and with all the talk of La Nina leading up to the event, I was more than convinced this was it! The Grand Passage was only weeks away and I had visions of greenheads dancing through my head with the occasional cotton top falling as it rounded the sharp bend where my blind sits.

Well, shortly after that the temps soared back into the 50’s and 60’s and last week when I was deer hunting in eastern Wyoming, we had a day that was almost 77 degrees! For the second week of November, it was two degrees shy of an all time record high! After a difficult season last year, this is definitely not the vision I had for the start to the second split in 2016.

There’s some hope though. Looking at the latest weather models there appears to be a decent cold snap coming with some snow cover projected for the upcoming week. Though temps are supposed to recover in the subsequent week, this low pressure system forming should get a few ducks headed for various state lines. Take a look at the accompanying images and see where the hot spots might be for what we hope is the kick off to a cold and blustery duck season!

Wednesday Forecast:

Thursday Forecast:

Saturday Forecast:

Predicted snowfall accumulation for the next 6 days:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Figures. Just got back from SE MT deer hunting. Did not bring sunscreen, got a little sunburn. What are the odds of that?

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
This going to be a big one, but short lived. Some models show up to 2 feet of snow in Nebraska. There is a drought in Arkansas - this has all the waterfowlers at the southern end of the flyways keeping their fingers crossed. Big moon, north wind, they may just sail all the way to LA and TX.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
Dam, its going to miss me in Wisconsin. I expect to get rained on Saturday morning for our deer rifle opener. About 50 miles west of me, they are predicting up to a foot of snow. Rut was trickle this year bowhunting due to warm weather.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I am headed out for a fast morning hunt tomorrow. Hopefully we have a few come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
missed us, got skiffs here and there. parts of mountains got some decent amounts though. but sure is cold!

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
I 80 is closed right now Laramie to Cheyenne. Wind and snow with the cold. Still hard to believe we have open water in Nov. but if this cold snap is short lived we'll be hunting ducks at Thanksgiving!

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I 80 is closed right now Laramie to Cheyenne. Wind and snow with the cold. Still hard to believe we have open water in Nov. but if this cold snap is short lived we'll be hunting ducks at Thanksgiving!
It sounds like it is going to be a short one, but my guess is that we end up with a good cold snap here in NW Wyoming soon.