Upgrading my optics

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I am looking at purchasing a spotting scope this year and potentially upgrading my Monarch 3 10 x 42 Binos. I've read through a lot of the opinions and I guess I wanted to beat this horse a little bit more. My monarchs have done me well sitting in a blind antelope hunting a few years ago and for every purpose here on the East Coast. I also used them in Idaho last year and I didn't have much of a problem picking animals out from what I considered a good distance away.

Since I'm sure it will be asked, I plan on using the optics mostly for archery 1 or maybe 2 times per year over the next several years out west.

My first question is would it be worth it to upgrade to vortex 10 x 42's? Is there that big of a difference? We have pretty limited product lines here in the area so it's hard for me to go somewhere to compare. Anyone that may have looked through both of these, I sure would appreciate any feedback. Next is the spotting scope. I am definitely looking at the vortex spotter, I am just not sure what size. Is there a huge difference for what I will be using it for in the Viper versus razor? And, if I told you I had $1500 in credit and would actually not have to pay anything out-of-pocket for these updates, what would you do?

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
As for the binos it depends on what model of vortex. The viper hd and the razors are better. I would also look at the nikon monarch 7. If you have a spotting scope what model are you using now?

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Buy it right once (top of the line whichever brand you are looking at) and be done with it. Razors are nice. Lots of other options out there too. I'd stay away from the monarchs if I had 1500 to blow. I have had quite a few nikon spotters though and for the money they are absolutely great. Find yourself a nikon fieldscope ED 60 or 82mm if you are looking to save a few of those dollars to put towards the binoculars. I've seen the 60s go for 600ish give or take and the 82s are usually around 800ish+.

I agree with ando_31 and suggest to buy the best you can afford. I might go a step further and say buy the best you can't afford. Optics are something that's at the top of the list and the one piece of equipment you'll more than likely use the most. Sooner or later you'll want to upgrade and between selling what you have and the replacement cost of a new set-up you'll take a big loss. Been there, done that. Buy premium initially and and in the long run you're $ ahead.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
If you had 1500 free money and wanted 10x42 bino's and a spotter, I'd go with Vortex talon's 10x42 and a razor 11x33x50 spotter. You'll have a top of the line spotter in your pack, and a good set of bino's. I bought the bino's for my son, and I have the spotter. Go check them out and compare to see what you'll end up with your $1500. By the way Vortex's warranty is second to none!

dkopriva

Dec 2, 2014
Gove
If you get to a Cabela's compare a pair of they're Euro HD binoculars to some high end pairs. I really like mine and the price is good for what you are getting. I have a buddy that got a pair of Vortex bino's they are not the razor but the next ones down and they are pretty good as well. Personally I'd spend the whole 1500 on a good set of bino's and start saving for a scope in a year or two. I think you'll like the Vortex spotter I'd go with the mid sized Razor as it is still reasonably light to pack in the mountains.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
I've got the 50 mm Vortex Razor spotter and think it's great.

I'm also in the same boat about getting new binos. Trying to decide if it's worth an extra thousand to get some Swarovskis versus Razor HD's. I feel like for an extra thousand, I will only be getting a very slight increase in quality.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I've got the 50 mm Vortex Razor spotter and think it's great.

I'm also in the same boat about getting new binos. Trying to decide if it's worth an extra thousand to get some Swarovskis versus Razor HD's. I feel like for an extra thousand, I will only be getting a very slight increase in quality.
I own and love several Swarovski products. The top offerings from Leica, Zeiss, and Swarovski are excellent optics. I would never say spending money on them is money poorly spent.

However, Meopta's Meostar line are extremely close in performance, and save a significant amount of money. It is easy to recommend them, and I do.

Nothing beats actual time in the field. My recommendation is to get the best optics you can afford, while still being able to afford to actually go hunting. Never give up time in the field for gear.

My .02

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
If you had 1500 free money and wanted 10x42 bino's and a spotter, I'd go with Vortex talon's 10x42 and a razor 11x33x50 spotter. You'll have a top of the line spotter in your pack, and a good set of bino's. I bought the bino's for my son, and I have the spotter. Go check them out and compare to see what you'll end up with your $1500. By the way Vortex's warranty is second to none!
I'm going to go with this spotter, I guess now I have to try to decipher the difference in vortex versus the Monarch binos. Thanks for all the help.

hferrin701

Mar 2, 2014
I hunted with the viper 10x42 for a long time and loved them. I beat the hell out of them, snow, rain, in the dirt and they held up great. For the money I'm not sure you'll find a better more rugged optic. Plus the warranty is nice. Never had to use it on binos but its peace of mind. I needed an eye piece replaced for a razor spotter and I had it to my door in three days, no questions asked. Vortex customer service is fantastic.