Update on Colorado Deer Rifle Table in EBJ

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Hey everyone, this is Brandon Mason and I noticed an error in the CO MRS that I wrote this year in the deer tables on pages 80 & 81 of EBJ i88.

It was a copy and paste error when arranging the rows in the tables and I noticed it when I was planning my own application strategy for CO.

In the Early Season section at the top of the DEER table, the Valid Units column is misaligned with the rest of the info in the rows.

The rest of the information in the Early Season rows corresponds to the Unit column and is correct. The Valid Units are just misaligned with everything else, but you can find the Unit of interest listed in the Valid Units section to see which units pertain to that hunt (and the same information is listed in Colorado's Big Game brochure).

For example, Unit 56 shows Valid Units of 471, but should actually have Valid Units of 48, 56, 481, & 561**.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for all of your guys' support! Good luck in the draws and in the field this fall!!!

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
Why doesn't the MRS contain a map of the units anymore? That was pretty handy having that right there in front of you instead of having to look it up.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Because of the multiple seasons in Colorado. 1st season could be a yellow chip, third could be blue.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
I was meaning more of a map just to know where the units are located in the state while you are reading the MRS, not so much a map of the unit ratings.

mt-mike

Jul 16, 2011
Helena, Montana
I was meaning more of a map just to know where the units are located in the state while you are reading the MRS, not so much a map of the unit ratings.
I also support this as a valid point. The MRS has been nicely revamped except for this apparent oversight.

nwwa huner

Jun 29, 2011
I agree. The map, even without, color is was a very important part of the mrs. I'd give up a story in the mag earlier to have the maps.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I agree. The map, even without, color is was a very important part of the mrs. I'd give up a story in the mag earlier to have the maps.
Thanks for the good comments and the map comments as well. I agree, I REALLY wanted a map in there this year but we just flat ran out of space. We did put the map in the digital version, but the print version is always a challenge to fit everything in with page count constraints.

Since the MRS had so much more information this year and the CO section was expanded from 12 pages in 2014 to 21 pages in 2015 I was sure we'd have enough room for the map, but with all of the other killer info we included we just didn't have the room.

Hopefully we can fit it in next year. Thanks again for all of the comments guys!!!

nwwa huner

Jun 29, 2011
Thanks for the info about it on the digital edition. That's a help to at least get it online. Looks good and thank you for the hard work.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Thanks for the good comments and the map comments as well. I agree, I REALLY wanted a map in there this year but we just flat ran out of space. We did put the map in the digital version, but the print version is always a challenge to fit everything in with page count constraints.

Since the MRS had so much more information this year and the CO section was expanded from 12 pages in 2014 to 21 pages in 2015 I was sure we'd have enough room for the map, but with all of the other killer info we included we just didn't have the room.

Hopefully we can fit it in next year. Thanks again for all of the comments guys!!!
Too bad it's only in EBHJ, what about us rifle hunters!!

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
I agree 110% about having a unit map. The magazine was 106 pages long. Is it really that drastic to add 1 more page and make it 107 pages long?

Some of the stuff like this just makes me scratch my head but at the same time, I'll give Eastman's and the new staff a lot of credit as there is a lot of good, new information in the MRS. The graphics showing the state and how many Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young animals have been taken from each county is very helpful.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
On B&C entries, you have to remember that these are public land hunts & there are people who hunt the same unit year after year after year. Point being, they aren't going to submit them to broadcast what's going on to make it more expensive for them or their kids to get those yearly tags.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
On B&C entries, you have to remember that these are public land hunts & there are people who hunt the same unit year after year after year. Point being, they aren't going to submit them to broadcast what's going on to make it more expensive for them or their kids to get those yearly tags.
That's just a guess. I don't know anybody who is shooting Boone and Crockett bucks every year in 0 point units. Yea maybe somebody is but if I shoot one that big, it sure as hell is going in the book.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
I don't know anyone doing that either. Know folks who are shooting them off $3-5K vouchers who don't want to start having to unload $8-10K for the same hunt.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I know guys that shoot B & C animals in the units they hunt year after year and they won't put them in the books for the reasons mentioned above. They are not taken every year by any means but the units put out a lot more trophy animals than advertised. If you are a local or resident and hunt the same units regularly it isn't worth advertising the unit by putting it out there in books, magazines, and on the net. Why ruin a good thing?