Units?

Muledeerhunter999

Oct 3, 2016
Sorry California
My brother and I are thinking about mule deer hunting in Idaho in a couple of years. Is the whole state OTC? Any units where you have a decent chance of getting a buck? Not talking wall-hanger bucks, just units that offer a good success rate. We are both middle-aged, so won't be backpacking in 5 miles or anything. Thanks for any information.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
many units are otc. many also have draw hunts. I would look at past success rates in units to help determine what odds are.I would say most units ,you have a reasonably good chance at a decent (not huge)buck if you put in the effort. by that I mean,if you get out of vehicle and at least out of sight of the road.
pick a weapon, time frame and unit and then if you have specific questions it may be easier for someone to help you out

Last edited:

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
yeah what kiddog said. majority of the state is otc at times of the season. its nice being able to jump from one side of the state over to the other side if needs be with same tag. I know a lot of guys come here and think the entire state is an otc tag during most of October, and while much of the state is there are areas that aren't open at all or are strictly controlled. any particular part of the state you are interested in.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
if that's the case, were it me,I would look to southern half of state for mulies and northern for whitetails.both can be found the majority of state but southern idaho, whities are pretty scarce and it is not known for great whitetail hunting.in most units.their are some few exceptions.

there are some good rifle rut (nov 10 to 24th) hunts in the draw, if you can draw em.

what is your weapon preference? are you just thinking general rifle hunt?

Eastfork

Feb 14, 2016
Idaho has great opportunities for some great hunts! Use there hunt planner on their website. Its a great tool. Narrow your search down to weapon choice and a zone and start looking from there. Idaho is a great place to take a family trip to during the summer also! While your there make a weekend camping trip to the area you have in mind!! Its a win win!!!

Joe Schmo

Jan 14, 2017
Idaho hasn't posted its stats yet but I'm guessing that more deer were killed in Idaho than...ever. I know 2015 was some kinda record. That being said, there could be winterkill issues. THAT being said...there are deer to be had in Idaho!!

JScams

Jun 14, 2015
Reno/Sparks/Tahoe
Interested if anybody knows the New Plymouth area in Idaho? I have a friend who I may visit during seasons and had thoughts of hunting if I was already there. Elk or deer etc for a non resident rifle hunt. OTC tags be nice if avail. I wanna say it's unit 38. Did some basic looking at the maps and idaho system. Thanks

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
you will not find many elk in 38. I have seen a few over the years but very few. not even sure if there is a season to hunt elk in that unit. deer you can hunt but not really a lot of them. best hunting for deer is probly along the snake river canyon.

38 is just one of those units with not much going on , with the exception of a few hotspots.

pretty much all the units just north of new plymouth would be more productive.

andrew12gauge

Aug 26, 2016
No elk season in 38, deer is short range weapons only and there honestly just aren't many deer in most of unit 38, it's mostly farmland and houses without much cover. A guy could head up to unit 32 just north though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk