units 67, 481

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
my brother and I are DIY hunters, we have no points for Colorado but want to hunt elk this year. preferably 1st season rifle. has anybody hunted unit 67 or 481? or any other units that we could hunt 1st season. we would really appreciate any help. thanks

Hoytshooter1977

Mar 3, 2013
Two Buttes, CO
My daughter drew 1st season rifle bull last year with no points. If you don't mind crowds it's easy to draw but there were way to many people for us. Vehicles 4 wheelers and jeeps everywhere. Did see a few elk but no legal bulls and that was way off the road

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
You might get drawn for unit 67 first season elk. I hunted deer there last year 3rd season. Got a 180.5 and saw better. I doubt the elk I saw would be at lower altitude 1st season. I was in that unit 3 or four times scouting and I doubt I was ever where I would have hunted elk, anyway I like the unit except for private land. I dont think that would be much of a factor hunting elk 1st season. I would hunt elk in that unit and probably high. I did see a large herd of elk in third season.

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
no this is not my research. I have been going over the cdow stats called the hunt planners, talked to other friends here that hunt Colorado, but none have hunted these units.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
67 can be a good hunt if you happen to draw. You really don't have to get way off the beaten path to find them but you do need to be patient. I've noticed those elk are quick to head to private land, but later in the season when folks start clearing out they will drift back onto public land until the next wave of folks roll in.

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
I talked to a friend tonight that said while he was hunting mulies in 67 he saw quite a few elk around the Pauline creek area. he said 67 gets pretty packed in the 1st season. thx for sharing your info with me it really helps.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
You never really know where you'll find them off that cut-through rd. Our group in 2011 went 4 for 4 hunting back in that general area during 2nd. The past few years though being there before 2nd and as late at end of 3rd, I'll say it isn't uncommon to find them down under 9k' in the quakies in the most random places further North.

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
what is the average class bull you could expect to shoot in 67? Does it really get a lot of hunters or do the mainly stay close to the roads? thx for your response I really do appreciate it. john

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
You'll see people but it's not what I would call overcrowded. Avg size would still be in the legal-200s, which isnt bad considering the PPs required, but you could stumble into one in the low-mid 3s.

nwwa huner

Jun 29, 2011
I hear that 66 is a little better than 67. We hunted 67 in 08 and were 1 for 2. I killed a nice 290 ish 6 point which is average for the top end. They may reach the 315 range but mostly 5-6 points or smaller. With I think a 35-45% success range. We only saw one bull, heard 2 bugle and saw 10 cows. We hunted the timber and luckily glassed a 6 point before the season so knew where to start.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
I have been it unit 67 four times in the last year. I was looking for deer. Pauline Creek had fresh elk sign but I didnt see an elk there. I did find elk west of hwy 114 I believe on rock creek trail and the 3rd season there was a large herd about 1mile fron 114 on the same trail. I dont have an opinion about 67 vs 66, but I think I could find elk in 67 second season.