Unit 76?

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
Unit 76 NR Elk takes 10-18 points to draw depending on what weapon or season. I've got a buddy that drew out a few years back took him 15 points. He was very disappointed in the hunt. He is one of the best expierenced hunter's I know & he come home empty handed. Colorado Cowboy, Extreme or Old Hunter can give you a better answer than I can though.

sheephunter

Jan 29, 2012
Colorado
I spent time in unit 76 while sheep hunting but that was back in '03. Saw tons of elk but was not paying attention to trophy quality. Since then I've thought about applying in that unit and am just about ready to do so-I have enough points to draw a muzzleloader tag there. When I talked to the DOW guy from that unit earlier this year he said unit 76 is a great hunting unit, lots of elk and they limit the tags so it is a great hunting experience, but he said don't expect trophy quality to be what you would find in a "trophy unit".

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
My take on some of these marginal trophy units is this. I believe that some units that take 10-15 points are tough to draw is because some hunters, in state or NR, get tired of chasing the real good units which can take over 20 points now. They see the point creep, they do the math, they factor in their age and they put in for the next best unit that they have a real chance at. 76 is one of these units. It becomes an artificial trophy unit because of the points it takes not because of the trophy potential. I have a boat load of points and can hunt anywhere I want to for elk but if I had to do it again, I would get a lot better with my bow and get into elk every year, maybe not with trophy potential, or hunt with my ML every two or three years and chase bulls in the 300 range. Being in state makes this easier because of the cost of going home empty handed is not a big hit in the wallet like NR have.

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
I archery hunted it in '10 with an outfitter. I booked with Aaron Laske, of Wilderness Adventures, you can look him up and see pictures of some of the bulls he has taken out of 76. I shot a small 5x5 on the third evening, it was my first elk with a bow so I wasn't being picky. We heard lots of elk but I didn't lay my eyes on very many of them, so I can't tell you much about how big the bulls are. Out of the bulls I did see none were real big. The guy in camp with me did shoot a 300ish bull. We didn't have to hike very far from camp to get into elk. We were in NF that we accessed through private ground.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Ya I have 18 elk points for CO & they are about worthless. My buddy has just enough to draw archery 76. If I understand right, the mzl runs simultaneous with archery. So if that is correct we can hunt together with diff weapons.

Since CO cheapened the NR points with the 40% rule I have zero chance at a NW unit.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Or maybe the 20% rule? That's from a few years ago when they decided to lower the NR tag quotas for hunts which take more than 5 years for CO residents to draw................or something like that.

At that time it was the death knell for those of us already desperately chasing a better unit. It completely took away a unit 61 tag which I could have drawn prior to that. There are massive numbers of NR high point holders floundering around for anything now.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
18 points to draw a raghorn unit!? Haha. What's the point? I've got 4 bulls on the wall from 320 to 350.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
Ya I have 18 elk points for CO & they are about worthless. My buddy has just enough to draw archery 76. If I understand right, the mzl runs simultaneous with archery. So if that is correct we can hunt together with diff weapons.
For only 9 days of the 28day +/- archery season.

EBOLAVIRS

Aug 21, 2011
Was not impressed with unit 76 at all. Not much weather which did not help but I did not think it was any better than some of the OTC units in Colorado. Wayyyy wayyyy too much pressure, people everywhere you turned, waste of points as far as I was concerned. A local told me its common practice for a lot of those who live in the area to get over the counter tags in one of the bordering units and hunt 76 anyway if they saw elk there. It is nice to be out of the points game though.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Was not impressed with unit 76 at all. Not much weather which did not help but I did not think it was any better than some of the OTC units in Colorado. Wayyyy wayyyy too much pressure, people everywhere you turned, waste of points as far as I was concerned. A local told me its common practice for a lot of those who live in the area to get over the counter tags in one of the bordering units and hunt 76 anyway if they saw elk there. It is nice to be out of the points game though.
Haha, ya I totally believe that. These points are all worthless a far as I'm concerned. And in my opinion there is no silver lining anywhere in the future. CODNR is not going to change management styles. The only flicker of hope would be if they went back to the point saver trial where they only took whatever points necessary less one to draw a unit. Then I'd burn my points in 3/4 point units. But I think they figured out everyone would do the same, so they won't reinstitute that. Just a hunch.

I am wondering if a guy can hike away from other hunters in 76 with some effort. I only hunted CO once, Gunnison unit 551 late deer, and there was an OTC elk firearm season going on. I hiked up into some snowy pockets up on a ridge and no elk hunters wanted to hike up there, saw zero. I stalked right up on 2 bull elk, one a 5x5 raghorn, the other a decent 300" 6x6. So close I could have shot with my bow before they noticed me. Nobody else was anywhere in that entire area. I didn't get it. Why was I waiting for 18 years to hunt a 300" bull unit when I saw one the first day in an OTC unit? Or I think it was a 0/1 point draw unit for rifle.

Last edited:

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
If 76 is no better than some OTC units, Im definately in the wrong OTC units. I never saw any other hunters in 76, and there were plenty of bulls around. The guide told me that the bulls usually don't reach their full potential there because once the snow hits they have to migrate down into OTC units, and they get shot before they get real big.

Z Barebow

Oct 5, 2011
I have been researching 76 for several years. I am chasing this unit becuase it is my only option. I will hunt archery (NR10 PP's going into 2013 draw). And I still will not draw in 2013. (very remote) This thread echos what I have found. Can't kill a big one unless you are out there, but not many big ones in this unit. Most in 260"-280". There are a few over 300, but they are the exception. It is a numbers hunt. wapitii66 is spot on. These elk move out with snows and are killed in neighboring units w/rifle.

The problem with PP's and 76 is there are no other options in the neighborhood for PP holders. I am not goung to cash out in 40 and eat 5-6 PP's , and I won't wait for 61. 2,10,201 forget about it.

I cannot wait until I cash out. I will not allow my PP's to get that high again. 1-3 PP's.

Feb 27, 2013
I hunted 76 in 2011, third season. Heavy snow on opening weekend changed things a bit but I saw plenty of elk and some nice bulls. Unfortunately I had a cow tag in my pocket. I saw very few other hunters and found great access to both remote and close to the road hunting. I don't like big crowds when hunting and for that reason alone, I recommend 76.

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
Z Barebow-You are right, 76 is by itself when it comes to PPs. I think it's going to continue to rise in points required bc of the amount of people giving up on 61, 2, 10, 201 that are going to drop down to the next unit in line (76). Are you giving up on trophy quality? Statistically yes, but that doesn't mean there aren't some big bulls in 76 also, just fewer numbers...but it only takes one. Your other option like you said, 40, is a tough pill to swallow giving up 5 extra points.