unit 75

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
hey if he admits to doing it, Im just saying. Heck I wonder if crisco. or extra virgin works better? Also the B&C question was just that a question. Can't help it if you get affended by a meer question that I asked. The oil thing had been told to me by Guy himself. In fact when he said they use oil, I seriously thought he was talking motor oil, luckily common sense prevailed, and I assume hes using a cooking, or linseed oil.
I think extra virgin olive oil works best. My personal favorite is Pompeian. $6.99 at Walmart.

justinthedoc

Jul 15, 2011
Yeah funny how america got that way. Just a question, but last I looked a few years back, they didnt have a antelope at all. Was just hoping that someone found a eastman in the B&C book so I can put my mind at ease. I have 5 in there, and no slamming or dissing here; just curious..

Also yes cheaper (wally world) oil might be better for the monster buck I am going to get this year, havnt seen to much promising bucks yet, Have a 74 tag, coverd much of 75 (brother has a tag) and 74 the past week and maybe a upper 70's buck so far. Things change though when the rut gets going.

Last edited:

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Anyone have an update on how dry it is in Unit 75? I have a tag for this fall and was wondering what conditions were like there.

Thanks!

justinthedoc

Jul 15, 2011
Its getting pretty bad now, looked good til August the she turned Krispy, dont light a match. Hopefully september will bring some snow. :)

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Thanks for the reply. Just talked to the area game warden this afternoon, he estimates antelope numbers at half of what they were last year. I might not shoot unless it's a really good one, it sounds like they need a break. I'm not sure leaving them to starve this winter is more humane if the feed is gone though.

I work on a ranch, I will be the last one to light a match! I worry about our winter grass and stacks of bales everytime I hear of a fire. We have had more lightning fires than I ever remember this year also with the dry conditions. Our rural fire departments have been doing a great job so far, and the fires that have started haven't had a strong headwind yet at least close to home.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
We are headed home from our hunt now. It was better hunting than I expected after talking to the warden. We saw good numbers of adult animals and had a good hunt. We didn't find any giant bucks but got 4 nice ones in the 70's. We scouted 3 days and hunted 3 days so we covered alot of ground to see what we did. One thing we didn't see many of was fawns. We saw very few young antelope compared to what we saw driving home down hwy 287. I'm a rookie antelope hunter but I'd bet the next few years will be tough in 75. A hunting paper I picked up in Riverton had an article saying that same thing.

ffd061

Feb 21, 2011
Glyndon, Minnesota
Congrats on your success!! Any pictures to share? How did the mule deer numbers look while you were out that way? We are headed that direction in 2 weeks to chase elk.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
We only saw 1 decent muley buck in 6 days of combined scouting and hunting. It was a 4x4 I'm guessing around 150 from the brief look I got. Lots of does on the private around the creek bottoms. We made it to 8300ft on one of our scouting trips and found some antelope, but no elk. We actually never saw an elk the whole trip including an afternoon in the Bighorns and coming home through the Medicine Bow mountains but our timing wasn't right, it was warm sunny afternoons.

Here is a pic of my antelope. It is taking forever for me to load pics now so I just added one. He wasn't real tall at
14 1/8" but had good cutters and mass, grossed 79". I was real happy with him for the conditions and my experience level. I was starting a stalk on another nice goat and it fed out away from the ditch I planned to use and got out of range before I could get close. I turned and headed back up toward the vehicle and cut a large set of fresh tracks headed the same way I was. I then found a scrape he had made and the spot he had urinated was still wet and fresh in a 35mph wind, so I knew he was close. I came up to the ridge and spotted him 125yds away from me headed across the next flat. I knelt on my bipod and tried to get steady enough to shoot him in the hard wind. I finally turned my shoulders enough to get steady and squeezed the trigger as he walked into my crosshairs. The 140gr Berger VLD from my 264WM took out the heart and broke the far shoulder, dumping him. It was only about a 175yd shot, but about the toughest I've ever made at that range due to the conditions. He was one of the best bucks we saw, and the best one we had a legitimate shot at. We moved him from the flat to the ridge I shot from for a better background for pictures, I didn't shoot him skylined. I've always used Nosler Accubonds from this rifle in the past, and they are still my favorite all-around bullet, but the Berger performed very well. 3 of the 4 goats our group took were shot with my rifle and the Berger dumped them all. We were equipped to shoot 500yds under good conditions with my set-up, but we all prefer to get as close as possible when hunting so our longest shot was 351yds. Since this is my long-range rifle and I don't use it on anything bigger than muleys I think I'll stick with them until they give me a reason not to. For my mountain guns and for larger game I'll stick with my accubonds.

Attachments

Last edited:

ffd061

Feb 21, 2011
Glyndon, Minnesota
Nice goat indeed. Congrats!! Sounds like you were in the area we are going to be elk hunting. Talked to some ranchers in the area, and they assure me there are elk there. Hopefully we can find a couple of nice bulls and a cow.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Thanks. I have no doubt there were elk there, we weren't up that high early or late in the day. We were mainly exploring at that point and seeing if we could find a big antelope hiding up where he didn't get messed with. We found many well established 2 tracks that were not on our map or GPS once we got in there. We took a different way out of the mountains and used one of them. They were rough and slow, but not impassable for a truck. It didn't look to difficult to get around in on foot at least where we were.