Unit 73 Antelope hunt places to stay

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My family and I will be traveling to unit 73 for an antelope hunt this fall. My wife does not want to camp for as long as we plan to be in the area with our kids going and the potential for bad weather. Besides the hotels in Casper are there any recommendations for places to stay that might put us more in the antelope unit? Cabins?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I'm pretty sure the town of Powder River has some kind of accommodations, but it's just a couple little rooms with running water. If your needing any kind of amenities, you'd be better off staying in Casper.
I just drove by the place about a month ago, and just can't remember the name of it.
Any one else remember the name?? I know there is a post office there, maybe just call it and ask if they know the name of the motel there.
By the way Antelope everywhere, you'll have fun.

Last edited:

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I'm pretty sure the town of Power River has some kind of accommodations, but it's just a couple little rooms with running water. If your needing any kind of amenities, you'd be better off staying in Casper.
I just drove by the place about a month ago, and just can't remember the name of it.
Any one else remember the name?? I know there is a post office there, maybe just call it and ask if they know the name of the motel there.
By the way Antelope everywhere, you'll have fun.
Thanks. I'll check a little closer.

Manualman

Aug 10, 2011
North Jersey
Casper east RV park in Casper has small cabins to rent. It's right in town so it's not the quietest place but your close to things to do with the kids. It also has gas stations. Don't leave town without a full tank

7mag

Sep 1, 2014
Wyoming
Im not sure if Powder River has a motel or not. All there is to do in Hiland is hunt antelope and hang out at the bar. I know my wife would be much happier staying in casper.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Im not sure if Powder River has a motel or not. All there is to do in Hiland is hunt antelope and hang out at the bar. I know my wife would be much happier staying in casper.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
You are right about Hiland. Used to be an rv park & motel at Hell's Half Acre, but it's long gone. (stayed there a few times). Nothing in Powder River.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Depending on when yer going, the Willard Springs Lodge just off the Bighorn Mtn Rd will probably still be open. Its just north of the Middle Fork of Buffalo Ck...

Last edited:

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I hunted in 73 back in 2015 we stayed at a family's cabin on 33 mile road. Just a few miles north of buffalo creek road. Really good access to walk- in and public land and lots of goats. I will PM you with guys name and number. Also look up Willard spring lodge on Facebook.

ROGER SANCHEZ

Dec 3, 2012
I hunted 73 last year. We ended up staying at a hotel in West Casper. It gave us easy access to the highway and there were plenty of restaurants nearby. We were going to stay at the Willard Springs Lodge, but the road conditions were terrible. Access to the lodge isn't that easy. If you look at Air BNB or VRBO there are some awesome houses you could rent in Casper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krod4dcar

Dec 5, 2012
Roger,
We have been hunting in Unit 21 for about 3 years but didn't get drawn for the last two. We drew for unit 73 with 5 preference points and looking for general areas to hunt. The fish and game "walk in areas" infor wasn't much help as it showed longitude and latitude but no entry/parking direction and says to contact Casper office for more information. Did you hunt any of these last year or just public land with the GPS using HuntX sim card?

We are going to stay in Edgerton at an RV spot since it is pretty close to the North edge of the unit. We normally stay in Kaycee at an RV park that but it is a little too far to drive each day to Unit 73.

Were you able to get permission to hunt any private lands in that unit? I do have the Fish and Game land owners printout to use.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
Ken

ROGER SANCHEZ

Dec 3, 2012
Roger,
We have been hunting in Unit 21 for about 3 years but didn't get drawn for the last two. We drew for unit 73 with 5 preference points and looking for general areas to hunt. The fish and game "walk in areas" infor wasn't much help as it showed longitude and latitude but no entry/parking direction and says to contact Casper office for more information. Did you hunt any of these last year or just public land with the GPS using HuntX sim card?

We are going to stay in Edgerton at an RV spot since it is pretty close to the North edge of the unit. We normally stay in Kaycee at an RV park that but it is a little too far to drive each day to Unit 73.

Were you able to get permission to hunt any private lands in that unit? I do have the Fish and Game land owners printout to use.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
Ken
I'll send you a PM this weekend. We found plenty of bucks on Public land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krod4dcar

Dec 5, 2012
Roger,
I haven't received any emails from your regarding Unit 73 Antelope. Not sure if you still had the data on public land or not?

Thanks