Unit 70 3rd

Ridn9high

Mar 12, 2014
My brother has a 70 3rd season deer tag and neither of us have stepped foot in the unit. As of right now, I'll be tagging along with him to help with the hunt and hopefully with packing a deer out. From the looks of the maps this seems to be a road hunters dream. Everywhere it looks to have a road in the western part of the unit.

Have a few questions for the guys that have been in the unit before

Are there areas to get away from the roads in the lower elevations? We like to throw packs on and walk in a couple miles to get away from people. We aren't very social lol

What is a good buck for the unit? Should he shoot the first Last year on our hunt we said we were killing big or going home empty. I filled my tag while my brother kept passing on deer and ended up eating his tag.

How do the roads get when it rains/snows?

Will also take any other info that you're willing to share about this unit. Also, I can swap info in units 75,751,77,78 and 66.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I live about 75 miles south of 70 and have hunted it for deer and elk. Yes the western part of it has lots of roads/2 tracks. A quad or sidexside definitely helps. Unless you get some weather, the deer are likely to be a little higher in rd season than the sage brush winter area. Lots of the roads, especially the county roads, will be fine, but the 2 tracks will be pretty muddy/slippery after
any moisture...that's why I suggested quads. The northern part of the unit has lots of private property. There are quite a few tags for 3rd season, so expect company.

I have seen some great bucks there after the seasons are over as this is their primary wintering area. Probably 160/170 4x4 are pretty average for tag fillers. If you want something bigger, you will have to work hard and get lucky, especially since you have not been in the unit before.

Ridn9high

Mar 12, 2014
Thank you CC! If the weather shows moisture during the hunt, we might bring up a SXS to make sure we can get to all of the areas, especially the bad roads.

Is there any good fishing in the area that late in the year?

jroplanner

Jun 12, 2014
California
I'll be there for the 4th season. The 3rd season had leftover tags, but 4th season took us 13 points to draw. Scouted it in January 2016, CC is a great resource and is spot-on...the County roads are solid but moisture turns the rest of the roads snotty. My take is that this unit takes luck for the weather and rut to collide.

Ridn9high

Mar 12, 2014
3rd season didn't have any leftovers. It took 0 points for resident to draw(not all drew with 0), and 3 points for a non resident to draw.

zanwag

Oct 14, 2017
CC is pretty right on. I live in gmu 61 now, but lived in 70 most of my life- still hunt it every year. Glad to help if I can.

zanwag

Oct 14, 2017
My brother has a 70 3rd season deer tag and neither of us have stepped foot in the unit. As of right now, I'll be tagging along with him to help with the hunt and hopefully with packing a deer out. From the looks of the maps this seems to be a road hunters dream. Everywhere it looks to have a road in the western part of the unit.

Have a few questions for the guys that have been in the unit before

Are there areas to get away from the roads in the lower elevations? We like to throw packs on and walk in a couple miles to get away from people. We aren't very social lol

What is a good buck for the unit? Should he shoot the first Last year on our hunt we said we were killing big or going home empty. I filled my tag while my brother kept passing on deer and ended up eating his tag.

How do the roads get when it rains/snows?

Will also take any other info that you're willing to share about this unit. Also, I can swap info in units 75,751,77,78 and 66.
CC is pretty right on. I live in gmu 61 now, but lived in 70 most of my life- still hunt it every year. Glad to help if I can.

zanwag

Oct 14, 2017