unit 66 wyoming antelope

mbuh84087

Nov 23, 2011
has anyone hunted 66 I know its small but sometimes big things come from small areas haven't seen it live and don't know if I can make before the dead line so if anyone has any info it would be appreciated ...........thanks

hntinfool

Jul 6, 2013
My two sons hunted 66 in 2013 while I was out there elk hunting, what type of info are you looking for?

PlainsHunter

Feb 29, 2012
Central MN
I drove along the eastern border of the unit a couple of years ago. I did see antelope but not in great numbers. Terrain looked like it would be fun to hunt. Had considered tying to draw the unit until it was mentioned this year in the MRS as being a good place to hunt. I'm guessing the drawing odds may be affected a bit. This is all I know about the unit.

mbuh84087

Nov 23, 2011
just wanted to know if it is worth burning a couple of points for or is the quality and numbers just not worth my time any input would be welcome....thanks

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
just wanted to know if it is worth burning a couple of points for or is the quality and numbers just not worth my time any input would be welcome....thanks
Can't tell you about 66 but.....
Last year after hunting a unit with leftover tags, I scouted a unit that I would have enough points for this year. I was very happy I put boots on the ground and not disappointed that I spent my points on it....

That said, I'm not looking to "waste" those points on a mid 70's " buck w/o hunting hard for a chance at an 80+.
How many points do you have and what will make you happy size wise?

Last edited:

mbuh84087

Nov 23, 2011
have 3 points and they're burning a hole in my pocket, was really hoping for something in the 80's but everyone does

EBOLAVIRS

Aug 21, 2011
66 has plenty of goats, but they all appear to be similar in size. The lander one shot competition is held there every year, I think they keep the cream knocked off. Something to consider....I shy away from 66 because of that.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
66 has plenty of goats, but they all appear to be similar in size. The lander one shot competition is held there every year, I think they keep the cream knocked off. Something to consider....I shy away from 66 because of that.
66 is one of the areas the One-Shot group hunts as well as 65, 67, 68, & 106. They hunt on opening day only and usually aren't very picky on the size of the bucks due to the competition being based on time for the most part. I think there are eight 3-person teams in the actual competition, with an additional amount of tags for these three areas given to past-shooters through a lottery type system. I don't know of the exact number of tags issued through the event, but I'd be surprised if it's over 50 and these are spread out over the areas. This group used to hunt the week before opening day to the rest of the tag holders, which drew a lot of heat from the hunting public, but was changed to coincide with the normal hunting seasons a while back. I don't see an additional 10-15 governors tags in an area as being a reason to not hunt there. Opening weekend of antelope season is usually chaos anyhow in about every area of the state and the only times I hunt the opener is if I'm camping on a big one. All that being said, you're probably going to see a jump in NR applicants for 66 this year since it was bumped up to a "blue chip" unit in the recent MRS, so that's something to consider.

Last edited:

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Update......I finally found the statute for the One-Shot licenses and it states that the commission has the authority to issue up to 80 tags for this event that get spread out over the areas.