Unit 6 Elk

chasingcoues

Jun 25, 2014
Hi Everyone- I have a 50k private land ranch to hunt in southern part of unit 6 for Elk, do you think it's worth dumping my points to hunt it general rifle 10/1 next year?

This ranch has no pines or mountains, big rolling terrain more so.

Thoughts/feedback?!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
If they see elk in a regular basis, yes. You'll probably never hunt a general tag area with less pressure.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Some great bulls in that area and it is very fun to hunt them by spot and stalk. They will be bugling their heads off on Oct. 1 . I would jump on the opportunity. The elk move around quite a bit in 6 when the season gets going but early on they will be pretty relaxed.
Will anyone be bow hunting the place before you?

pm sent

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
Tell you what. You get me on the place and I will hunt it general. I will give you a full scouting report for free and hind quarter.

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
This ranch has no pines or mountains, big rolling terrain more so.
Just thinking "out loud" here: Do you base this on the landowner's own words, or on e-scouting via Google Earth. Just in case you didn't know this, terrain looks deceptively flat and open on a computer screen. On google earth, some of the places I hunt look like rolling hills on the screen but are certainly "elky" mountains when you actually show up in person. Also, rolling hills with no pines does not equate to no elk, far from it. I've hunted area 6, and where I went definitely looks flat and treeless on Google earth, but it had a lot of elk and pockets where bulls reside all year round.

Last edited:

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
There isn't much of area 6 that doesn't hold good elk numbers. If you really do have 50k acres to hunt (pretty rare piece of ground) my experience in the area says you're golden. Again, my offer still stands.

chasingcoues

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks everyone for the feedback, great stuff! I have hunted this ranch for about 4 years now, go almost every year for Antelope. I've seen small herds of Elk on the property, no monsters though. Also, we are usually hunting that opening weekend of October, and I never heard Elk bugling surprisingly.
Based on your feedback I will definitely be putting in. I'd love for some scouting reports, but this is kind of a one-time thing since I've been begging for years to get an Elk tag!
Do you guys think calling for them would work during this time, bugles, cow calls?