Unit 5b early elk

Mrelite

Feb 28, 2011
New Mexico
It has been a few years, use to hunt it a lot and always early season. I went up last year in August and it was exactly the same as the last time I hunted it, the elk were right where they were supposed to be! It's a great unit if you do your scouting, good bulls and good bucks.

The biggest problem is the locals love to take their share of animals right before the hunts start, so early season before the elk get worked up they are a little skittish. One time I ran across 4 kills 100 yds off the road that were a week old and I had the first hunt. I also got my camped pilfered, they took an ice chest, lantern and a few more misc items. I was lucky, I had most of my supplies locked in my truck. I believe it was the last time I applied for that unit, I have thought about going back I had a lot of fun there.

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
Thanks for the info man. App deadline already passed and didn't end up putting in for 5b for elk. Did put it for deer so lets see how it goes.

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
Yeah, i think it starts the first week of Nov. I have never hunted it but have a couple friends from the area that say the same thing. I have also heard that it gets hit pretty hard by poachers.