Unit 5B Early Archery Elk

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Good day folks, unless something catastrophic happens, I will be heading down to 5B to scout some roads. If we get the chance to see some animals that will be an added bonus. My question for those familiar with the area is where is the closest motel/hotel to the unit?? Typically I drive around and camp wherever darkness falls, and that is the plan this trip, but the fella going with me is having some weird shit going on with his left leg and shoulder. Getting a good nights sleep does not happen very often for him. He originally asked for a telly but later changed his mind and thinks he can camp. I really do not think he will be able to, so I ask, what town has the closest motel/hotel?? Preferably something nicer but a couple of beds is really all we will need. Best of luck to all with your season, if any of you have 5B experience, I will not shoot you for sharing! Thank you for your time.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
If I get lucky and arrow an elk in September, where would the closest meat processor be?? There is supposed to be 3 of us going with 2 tags. If I kill first or early, I will stick around and assist the other guy assuming I can get the meat taken care of properly. Thanks.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
How?d the hunt go?
Not very good, mostly inexperienced in timber type hunting to blame I think. But for being "prime rut" every elk being silent didn't help much either. Out of the 10 day hunt, I didn't hear a natural elk call till day 8. The first bugle was after legal hours on the 9th night. I only saw 3 elk in all, cow and calf on day 2 and a small 4 or 5 point bull on day 9. Pretty amazing how agile and silent he was in the thick stuff. He saw me first and was sneaking out before I could recognize and draw, then he went down wind and the game was over.

I think if I draw again, I will be bugling all day, trying get the one that wants to play. I have never needed or tried this strategy so no telling if it truly works, but it seems to work for the Born and Raised Outdoors boys up in Oregon.

Another tag holder in camp was able to call in a Mexican wolf. I didn't even know that was an option!

I did get a shot off on a turkey. I ranged this hen 6 times, 34.....34.....33.....34....35....34, so what do I do, place my 30 yard pin mid body and let her fly! Jackass!!! Needless to say, I shot just under her. Fortunately, I laughed my ass off so it was a much needed relief from all my frustrations.

Planned on shooting a tree squirrel around camp but never did get a clear opportunity.

All in all it was good to hunt new country, but frustrating in not seeing or hearing elk.

Live and learn......New Mexico 1, Thomas 0......you will not win next time!!!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk