Unit 52 Muzzleloader deer this weekend..Anyone been there this year?

twllin

Sep 21, 2011
I was wondering if anyone has been out the 52 this year. Went scouting this weekend and saw some does and some elk, but no bucks. Has anyone been out that way and seen anything?

Mwalczak

Mar 12, 2011
Last week I was in the north-west corner near apache creek. I saw 4 bucks, biggest in the 130 range in the apache creek drainage. Also jumped some does in the dark timber. There were a few guys with deer tags camped close-by. They hadn't killed anything when I left. If I were deer hunting I'd probably try elsewhere in the unit. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

twllin

Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the info. Ive never been in that area before. Im assuming thats still north west of the Cruces Basin

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
I was in arkansas creek that weekend. I was looking for bear and scouting for deer. I talked to two elk hunters that were camped on apache creek, they both killed elk and told me about a little bear sign. They hunted arkansas creek as did I. I saw doe but no buck and didn't see a bear either. Lots of people traffic. I will be back to hunt rifle deer and bear so if you can pass along what you see it would be appreciated.

twllin

Sep 21, 2011
Did pretty good. Opening Morning we got off the ATV at 6:20 on top of the area we wanted to be. Since it was still not shooting light waited a little bit before we started hiking in. at 6:37 we finally had the light we needed since this was a "primitive" muzzleloader hunt i did not have a scope its all open sights and you cant use the new bullets. etc. This is the area that we were in

IMAG0417.jpg

We hiked in and 7 minutes later we ran into this guy!
IMAG0445.jpg
IMAG0428.jpg

Heres the damage the 50 cal bullet did to the heart
IMAG0431.jpg

One thing i noticed is they werent spooked yet at all. We ran into a heard of 3 bucks and of course i took the biggest one. After this guy was down the other 2 stayed around for about 5 minutes. we gutted this guy out and drove around a little bit then hiked in to the area we saw te other 2 take off and we ran in to them again not even 100 yards from where this one was shot and gutted! Also, i was amazed the Elk werent even buggling yet. On the way down to camp we ran in to about 3 more heards of deer, didnt see anymore bucks all does, but we didnt really look either since we had already filled our tag. It is still very warm and the ground didnt even freeze at night yet. The other deer we saw were all in the real thick north facing areas where its nice and cool.