Unit 49 atv capitol?

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Was considering unit 49 as an option for elk. Was curious if anyone has experience in this unit. Mainly wondering how bad atv off roading is in this unit. Ive heard it referred to as the atv capitol of new mexico. I see there is no wilderness in the unit to escape the traffic. Is there enuff country between the roads to escape the traffic. pm's also accepted. Thanks and good luck in the draw.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I laughed when I read this. Bow hunted the unit twice back in the 90's. Yes hands down most ATV's I've ever seen in my life in any state. There were actually outfitters from Taos with trailers hauling 10 or 12 at a time giving tours up there. One day a caravan drove right past me, even waving, as I stalked a herd of elk. They blew out, needless to say. There were ATV tracks pretty much everywhere, including beyond signs prohibiting. Also pickup trucks full of grouse hunters blasting shotguns. Lots of fishermen, campers & tourists on weekends. Did see a few very call shy, good bulls, but mostly raghorns. Bugling was primarily nocturnal unit wide. I'd list it as a 3rd choice opportunity type hunt. Best part was an awesome barbeque joint at the base of the mountain, near AngelFire Ski Resort.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
I know nothing about the unit, and have never hunted in New Mexico. So my input really means nothing, but I see the success rates arnt all that bad (archery) and it doesn't look that tough to draw compared to some other units. I have hunted some pretty popular units in Colorado before and you can always find little ways to avoid people and sometimes the people on 4 wheelers help isolate the elk. I am applying to New Mexico and am trying to find a unit that I can hunt once in a while and get my feet wet in New Mexico. If you end up going this route, Im curious to see how you do.

Good luck

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I know nothing about the unit, and have never hunted in New Mexico. So my input really means nothing, but I see the success rates arnt all that bad (archery) and it doesn't look that tough to draw compared to some other units. I have hunted some pretty popular units in Colorado before and you can always find little ways to avoid people and sometimes the people on 4 wheelers help isolate the elk. I am applying to New Mexico and am trying to find a unit that I can hunt once in a while and get my feet wet in New Mexico. If you end up going this route, Im curious to see how you do.

Good luck
I ended up going with a harder to draw unit that I'm familiar with instead of 49 as a third choice. I'm sure I wont draw this year but if I do it should be a good hunt.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I may actually choose 49 just this one year due to my wife moving here from China. I am changing all my choices in all states to crazy long shots or opportunity hunts she can accompany me on, where I would not care if I lose time to tourist activities. 49 is actually a pretty good tourist area. Would not mind burning that tag if the wife doesn't like hiking with me. No big loss.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Was just checking options for my application this year and to my amazement the 2nd unit 49 archery hunt this year is designated as High Demand! Wow now that is indeed a stretch. Same price as a Gila tag haha what a joke.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Was just checking options for my application this year and to my amazement the 2nd unit 49 archery hunt this year is designated as High Demand! Wow now that is indeed a stretch. Same price as a Gila tag haha what a joke.
I noticed that too. Do you know anything about unit 51 or 52? I am going to put in for one of those units I think as a third choice. Just wondering if you had any experience and what your opinions are.

(sorry to steal the thread away from swampokie and unit 49)

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I noticed that too. Do you know anything about unit 51 or 52? I am going to put in for one of those units I think as a third choice. Just wondering if you had any experience and what your opinions are.

(sorry to steal the thread away from swampokie and unit 49)
Actually yes I bowhunted unit 52 in 2009. Best strategy is to backpack down to the bottom of the basin and hire a horse to haul out bull. You can hunt up top but there's not as many bulls and they are conditioned to run like hell to private after the slightest hunting pressure! And they will bugle like crazy from there just 300 yards over the line. Don't know anything about 51, but all that area is good country, and it should be a good #3 choice.