Unit 48 fires

IDELKFVR

Dec 15, 2013
EMMETT,IDAHO
I was curios how the elk hunting in unit 48 was doing I know there were some fires in that area a while back and was wondering if anyone here on the forum drew that tag in the last couple years or have heard anything good or bad.

brdhuntr

Feb 17, 2016
Eagle Idaho
I was curios how the elk hunting in unit 48 was doing I know there were some fires in that area a while back and was wondering if anyone here on the forum drew that tag in the last couple years or have heard anything good or bad.
I have drawn a cow in 48 the last two years,and filled the tag. It was 48-2 and the fires actually helped the area, with a lot of new vegetation. Good luck..

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
yup fires hurt the trees but in the long run it will be the best thing ever happened for the wildlife. didn't take em long to move back in.

jwix

Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I hunted the early archery season last year. It was our first time hunting this Unit and we didn't do any on the ground scouting, but my partner did a good job of researching the area with google earth. We did find elk and my hunting partner shot a bull the first day we packed in. They were in a tough spot and the first pack out was brutal, the second pack out was better, used a different route and had an extra packer. We hunted 4 more days in various parts of the unit, and in our original area, I had a couple of more opportunities if my range was further. Lots of hunters, and all of the hunters we talked to seemed to be doing the same thing as us, trying to move away from the crowds, but everyone we talked to also had seen elk. Good Unit to hunt probably, but as always be ready to put in the sweat equity and deal with others...