Unit 46, 2nd Rifle

MileHighTiger

Nov 16, 2020
Denver, CO
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to draw my first year putting in, and got 2R for Unit 46 (north of Bailey). Has anyone ever hunted this unit? I'm curious about access points and camping spots. I'll be backpack camping for 3-4 days, and I want to spend the first day and a half prior to season getting in deep.
1. Will snow be an issue?
2. I'm seeing access on the east (Deer Creek Road), and possibly on the west (near Abyss Lake Trail 602). Are there any potential parking and access points I'm missing?
3. Any decent camping spots I can scope out?

I'm planning a scouting trip next month over a weekend or two to really check out both, but any starting points for e-scouting would be greatly appreciated.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
That area is popular with some sheep hunters I know. The majority of it is >10k feet and it's near Mt Evans which often gets early snow. I'd say snow isn't so much an "issue" as "definitely plan on it."

I've scouted that area myself and can tell you that the Eastern end has an additional problem: there's a poorly documented but well known (to the locals) shooting range just North of Harris Park - follow the forest service roads up from the town in satellite view and you'll see it right away. It's used by more than just hunters, there are people there a lot of days having all kinds of "fun" with AR-15s and other gear. The sound carries a fair bit.

Also, it's a very popular camping area with a lot of dispersed sites along those roads, and no joke, I found an illegal hunting platform (USFS land) set up with a COUCH. Might want to stay away from that section. This was a serious setup, not free-standing, but built for 3-4 guys to share. It obviously got regular use.

Reactions: MileHighTiger

MileHighTiger

Nov 16, 2020
Denver, CO
That's good information. I'm planning to stay west of that shooting area, but definitely good to know. Pretty much going to hunt from the center to the west of the unit. Not sure if I want to venture past Geneva Road, but will have spots picked out to the west in case I get skunked on action on the east side.