Unit 45 new mexico mule deer

1seth

Jan 15, 2013
Hattiesburg, MS
Guys

Drew Unit 45 for mule deer. Would be hunting Sept 1st through the 8th or so. Had a guy on another forum kinda burst my bubble on the realistic oppurtunity of shooting a legal buck in this unit. Just wanted to hear anyones thought on this unit. I know they kill deer there from the harvest reports but just wanted some others opinions on the unit. I would be happy with any legal buck. I am from Mississippi so I am not in it for a the rack just looking for a good experience.

Seth

mrcowboy

May 1, 2013
Northern NM
Seth,
There are plenty of legal forkers if your hunting just for meat and the experience. It's a large hunting unit. I saw two nice bucks on Sunday night after fishing the Pecos River. Hopefully some idiot doesn't poach em this summer. Send me a message. Bear tag would be advisable as mentioned above.

tx cowdoc

Apr 30, 2016
Texas
Bump for an update. Son drew a youth deer tag in 45. We will be staying with my folks over in unit 46 and hunting the eastern side of 45. Son is 11. Any pointers / locations? Thanks-

TX COWDOC

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Guys

Drew Unit 45 for mule deer. Would be hunting Sept 1st through the 8th or so. Had a guy on another forum kinda burst my bubble on the realistic oppurtunity of shooting a legal buck in this unit. Just wanted to hear anyones thought on this unit. I know they kill deer there from the harvest reports but just wanted some others opinions on the unit. I would be happy with any legal buck. I am from Mississippi so I am not in it for a the rack just looking for a good experience.

Seth
I've had people in NV tell me there are no deer in one of my favorite units of the Ruby Mtns of Nevada. It is home to the largest deer herd in the state. So perhaps the person who told you that about your unit in NM didn't know how or where to hunt in that unit or maybe just a poor or lazy hunter not willing to work hard for a deer.

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
I've had people in NV tell me there are no deer in one of my favorite units of the Ruby Mtns of Nevada. It is home to the largest deer herd in the state. So perhaps the person who told you that about your unit in NM didn't know how or where to hunt in that unit or maybe just a poor or lazy hunter not willing to work hard for a deer.
Or persuading them to not hunt their honey hole

Traverse

Jan 13, 2022
You can search these threads until the end of days and never see where the op wanting the help came back to let people know how it went.