Unit 39-Idaho

DBurrr

Feb 17, 2014
New here. Looking for some easy access points to unit 39. Would like to find a place I can get to in order to easily take my daughter with me; driving from West of the Boise area. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
From my experience there is endless access to 39. Its a large unit with a lot of hunting pressure being right outside of Boise. Use the maps and Google earth. Your question is very vague. I don't want to sound rude but that question is the easiest self-answered question with the slightest research.

DBurrr

Feb 17, 2014
Thank you for your response. Maybe I worded that wrong. I was looking for preferred easy access points. I have reviewed the unit map and view google maps frequently and I see that farthest from Boise would possibly yield bigger game. I haven't had the chance to explore much so I'm going to do that. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
Farther or closer won't help you in 39. You will have to get out and hike in 39 to find good pockets of deer. Early season, they are all up high on the Trinities... During the late hunt, you can find them low in the Danskins if you hit the migration right.

Up through mountain home or even through Blacks Creek will get you in. However, you and everyone else will be there, so you will have to hike in at least a mile to get into any sort of action aside from a forky here and there.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
I hunted this unit for almost 2 weeks straight in 2012, the deer can literally be anywhere, we seen bucks in every terrain this unit has to offer. The key as stated before is get away from the roads if you don't want to be bothered by other hunters, and it better be a long ways from the road. Everyone and there dog can walk 1-2 miles in no time day hunting from the road. The spot I killed my buck in was very inconspicuous, the 1st week we backpacked in about 7 miles and seen deer and elk, when we got back to the truck we seen deer and elk. I making sense yet?? I hunted the north end of the unit and the south end and in between. From sage to the thick pines and rocky crags there was game in all of them, but not much!! Glassing was the name of the game here. Hope this helps, I'll tell you this though I did kill my buck within a 1/4 mile of a road, so you never know what will be presented to ya:D Fun area and last years fire is really gonna open up a lot of previously timbered country.

rob270340

Feb 26, 2014
Washington
I hunted 39 for a couple years back in the early 2000's, mostly from Arrowrock reservoir. Wasn't an easy hunt as the road is in the bottom and all hunting was uphill but once I got away from the road I would see plenty of deer. One day I quit counting after 100 deer but mostly does and forkies. I did shoot a cougar in that area so you never know what you'll run into!

htMakoSica

Mar 6, 2024
So in 2023 I hunted the wilderness, in 39 and we got way back in there, and it was absolute insanity, roughest country i've ever hunted and i've been on some doozies. I mean it took half a day to go 900 yards as the crow flys because the evaluation changes were so crazy. worst of all, none of the trails have been maintained in at least 7 years, you would come to points in the trail were erosion wiped the trail completely away, 60 foot trees laid barrier every ten foot. it was awful, but awesome at the same time. no place to camp on flat ground. slept on slopes for 6 days. every two days we had to hike are water from the bottom of the mountains all the way back to 9000 feet, all and all I was told by the biologist there were some old mature bucks back in the wilderness but super low density, also I was told by the biologist, that a some what known name in the industry has killed a monster in the wilderness part of 39 that I hunted and I was shown a picture of the deer. on a side note I seen some great great bulls and multiple bulls, in crazy ass avalanche shoots every day. the side by side trails to get to the trail head as well are F***** and treacherous. we had to stay and extra day in are pickups at the trail head because we got snowed in and couldn't make it up and over part of the mountain. I forgot to mention we only seen 3 deer in 6 days, one was a little buck, but I know for sure that somewhere in that wilderness there is a great buck, and I one day plan to go back more prepared. This hunt would so hard, when I got back home it took me a while to go back out hunting, I was so mentally and physical drained. one of the coolest and craziest experiences i'll ever be apart of in my lifetime.