Unit 30

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Spent some time in the area over Easter. Stayed in Carlsbad. Saturday climbed Guadalupe peak and that afternoon drove down to queen to look over the country. Hard to believe this area is supposed to have the highest deer density in the state? Already put in elsewhere, but anyone ever hunted this unit for archery deer or elk? What did you think?

I was underwhelmed with the amount and quality of deer in 36, trying to find a good back up unit for the January archery deer hunt. After eating lots of tag soup (bear, deer, elk, deer) last year, valuing opportunities over inches for a while.

The top of texas:

Picture 038.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy

Apr 3, 2012
NM & TX
I actually like 36 & 37 for deer. Have killed quite a few out of both over the years. You definitely need to put in some miles and do lots of homework though. I am with you on 30, not for me. My first choice is always in the NW part of the state then either 34, 36 or 37 as that is near home.

NMHUNTER

Aug 29, 2012
Roswell, NM
i think the lions and the drought really hurt the deer down there. i talked to a game and fish officer last year on my wifes muzzy hunt, and he said they had trapped and relocated about 30 lions from that area. he also said the buck my wife got was only the second one he had seen killed.