Unit 28 late archery

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
It?s a been a long time since I?ve been on the fourm....kids, work, life in general! Was looking into bowhunting unit 28 in the late archery season for deer or elk. Due to my work schedule, that?s about the only opportunity I have to do a hunt there. I?ve been in 36b 10 years ago when my dad drew his sheep tag and only have driven through part of unit 28. Just curious how the deer and elk numbers are in the unit. I?m planning on calling the biologist in the area as well. Just figured someone on here would have some good input too! I know during December it can be cold and snowy, not much different than north central WI where I hunt! I love chasing mule deer and want more opportunities to chase them around!

Eastfork

Feb 14, 2016
Not saying there are no deer in 28, but it is more Elky than Deery if you catch my drift...just my thought

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Thanks for your input! Maybe I’ll just concentrate on elk, but I think I’ll still have the deer tag in pocket in case I find a good buck. Do you know if those elk migrate out of that area or do they just come out of the higher elevations once the heavy snow hits? I’m assuming when I come in December, there will be snow. I noticed on google earth there are ag fields (private land)along the river. I’m wondering if they tend to start yarding up in these areas? Thanks again

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
had some family working the mine at thunder mtn, back in the early 90s there were some nice bucks running round in 28 back then. we hunted the border of 27-28 . I killed 5X5 BULL and a decent 4x4 buck that year there.
I haven't been there in years though.

can't speak to where they winter but would expect they would be gone from were we hunted by December.

Last edited:

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Better deer hunting than elk in December. Deer and elk migrate down in Dec. Elk tend to find ag fields on private or stay low on open flats where they can feed and tend to stay all day. You can find deer in the mid elevation levels and they'll be concentrated. Some areas the elk will travel to ag fields and you can ambush on the trail, usually BLM or Nat. Forest. Can be hard to stalk with snow crunching. I hunt the area every year for both.