Unit 211 Mule Deer

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
I been wondering this for a couple years... The famed Mule Deer Unit 270 is bordered to the east and the south by several general tag or unlimited tag areas. So my question is are the monster bucks that are found in 270 located centrally or away from these units? Or are they just hunted in November when they moved out of the high country. It seems to me that at least during the early bow season, one could hunt the adjacent unit, say 211, in the high backcountry that these units share and find a really good buck. I grew up hunting elk in 211, but I have never heard of anyone even trying to do this. Honestly, I saw more whitetails than mule deer but I didn't hunt the backcountry in 211 very much. I have heard of a few stories of people seeing big mule deer bucks in the Pintlers while camping in the summer or bowhunting elk, but again, I have never even heard of anyone specifically attempting to bowhunt mule deer in the Pintler or Sapphire mountains in these units adjacent to such a historically great mule deer unit. So is there an opportunity that no one is taking advantage of or are the monster bucks in 270 just nowhere near these other units?

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Those big bucks are quite visible right smack dab in 270 during the summer. They aren't really high country deer. You never know, you could find a wanderer, but you do not see many big deer coming from neighboring units (other than 261).

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
That's exactly what I was wondering and kind of what I expected. The statistics for the neighboring units are terrible. I suppose you never know, but I guess there is a reason no one does it. Thanks BB.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Oh, there are plenty of people hunting those units, it's just not many big deer come out of there.

I don't put in for the two super units myself, and I live right here! There are great deer there, but I want to actually draw a permit someday.

I do go and look at the bucks though. It is fun, and there are some great ones in there!

BTW, I am not giving any secrets away here. These two units are MT's Paunsaugunt and Henrys.

What people don't talk about are the most of the best bucks in 261 are on private land year round, so keep that in mind when applying.