Unexpected Blacktail buck.

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
Well....not a whole lot to say, I have been hunting blacktail hard for almost a month here is SW Oregon. Lots of other hunters, a ton of rain and Mud, and the deer are scarce. I have put well over a hundred miles on my boots and seen very few deer, and only a few legal bucks.

Yesterday, I ventured out with a friend to cut a load of firewood, and threw my rifle and pack in just because. After an hour of cutting and loading firewood, we decided to glass some old clearcuts, within seconds of glassing I spotted a legal buck....with only a week left in the season, I had to take a chance. I found a small pine tree to lean on, and connected on the first shot with the ol' 30-06. 300 yard shot and he dropped in the scope. 45 minutes later, he was at the truck. Kind of weird to shoot a buck from the road, first deer I haven't had to quarter and pack in a long time. Fun day and beautiful deer hanging in my garage.

Leaving for Montana in 4 days. Beyond excited.

Thanks for all the support and exciting stories from the forum members to keep me motivated and inspired. 20161028_153656.jpg20161028_153553.jpg

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I hunted those guys near Shasta/Yreka one year. Hands down one of the hardest hunts I've been on. The undercover and Manzanita ( I believe) made it crazy tough. Congrats!

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I've been taking my girls every weekend since season started. We saw the first buck yesterday, but he gave her the slip. Take every chance you get on those buggers, nice job.