Ultralight tent: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1?

elktracker

Feb 24, 2011
Jackson, WY
I am thinking about getting a new ultralight tent, wondering if anyone has any input on the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or any other suggestions. Thanks.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Quality tent and extremely lightweight. No condensation issues, tub style floor, and water proof floor and fly. Can't go wrong with it, IMO.

Archer32

Feb 22, 2011
SoDak
I have it and love it. I'm 5'9" and can sit up straight at night and scourer over maps and do some reading in bad weather which is awesome. I typically slip the bow on the outside of the tent and under the fly and stays plenty dry in precip. The front vestibule is nice, and I'm probably pushing the limits of the fabric but I've cooked under it with it closed and haven't had any problems. Sets up super easy and isn't too loud putting it together. Heavy snow slips easily off of it. Since I've gotten it, the ODR advanced bivy doesn't get much love anymore.

YellowDog

Feb 23, 2011
Parker Colorado
Any experience out there with the Fly Creek UL3? This is the tent I wanted to pick up this summer. At just over 1.5lb per I thought it would be hard to beat for two guys backpacking in. I am 6'4". Will this be a problem. Can't find anyone local to set it up for me to test out. Was going to burn Cabela's points and order it through them.

Last edited:

S&S Archery

Apr 2, 2011
Boise, ID
www.sandsarchery.com
Any experience out there with the Fly Creek UL3? This is the tent I wanted to pick up this summer. At just over 1.5lb per I thought it would be hard to beat for two guys backpacking in. I am 6'4". Will this be a problem. Can't find anyone local to set it up for me to test out. Was going to burn Cabela's points and order it through them.
The UL3 is a sweet tent. It has one extra pole across the top that gives you a lot more headroom inside the tent versus the UL1 and UL2. I plan on using one this year for two guys and in a pinch you could get three in there but it would be tight. It's plenty long at 90" so being 6'4" you'll be fine.

If you decide to buy one let me know and I'll hook you with a great deal.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Sorry I have to ask this of everyone who has one. I would like to get the UL2, but was told that the fly/tent material is very thin, almost on the brittle side, and it would not be a good choice for taking into the high country for Sep (ie. rain, hail, snow). Is this true?

S&S Archery

Apr 2, 2011
Boise, ID
www.sandsarchery.com
It is one of the lightest tents on the market so that comes from somewhere and thinner material is a big reason. That being said the material has been really durable. I haven't had any complaints from customers and I haven't had any issues with mine.

hoytnut

Mar 10, 2011
Monticello, Utah
I used the UL2 last year in Colorado at 11,500-12,000 in September. It withstood some very windy, rainy nights with no problem. Yes, the materials are thin and this makes the tent a lightweight champ, but I wouldn't call the materials brittle by any means.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
Like any ultralight gear you have to take care of it. With that being said my UL1 has been put to the test and I have never had an issue with it.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
The UL3 is a sweet tent. It has one extra pole across the top that gives you a lot more headroom inside the tent versus the UL1 and UL2. I plan on using one this year for two guys and in a pinch you could get three in there but it would be tight. It's plenty long at 90" so being 6'4" you'll be fine.

If you decide to buy one let me know and I'll hook you with a great deal.
He can and will hook you up with a great deal.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
That is a nice ultralight tent, but don't overlook Henry Shire's Tarptent Contrail. It has a little more room and even a couple ounces lighter.

llp

Mar 15, 2011
I have both the Ul2 and the UL3. Like most tents, if you subtract one person from the listed capacity you have the perfect tent. I use the UL2 when hunting solo and have plenty of room and a great ultrlight tent. I use the UL3 for camping with another person. It is big enough for two people with room for a little bit of gear. I would never consider two people in the UL2, even if it was my wife! I've used these tents in the high country of Wy and the constant downpours of coastal AK. They work great for me, keeping everything dry and snug. Take off the rainfly for those rare very warm nights. There is so little difference in weight between the UL1 and UL2 that I can't imagine ever getting the UL1.
llp