Truck Tires - on/off RD

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Anyone ever run Sumitomo or Yokohama AT style tires on their rig? Good/Bad/Indifferent?

FYI

(I went thru my files to see exactly what I had put on the 2012 Tundra up til now)

Current set= General Grabber HTS 60, $754 installed, got ~ 40k miles

Prev set= Cooper Discoverer AT3, $890 installed, got ~ 45k miles

I guess the roads here suck and/or I'm just hard on my chit... 😆

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
About all I get with my Big 0 AT's is 40K. They look like street treads but do alright in snow and mud but could be better. I also change them out when they start to get down in the treads. I like being safe rather than thrifty.

I am to the point now with my truck that the tires will start to rot before I wear them out. 2 years ago I only put 3000 miles on it and last year I only got 5000 on it. It has been relegated to only being used when I need a truck

Reactions: Prerylyon

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Similiar experience. When i was hauling around a big 40ft 4horse with living quarters trailer......the Coopers i had on the dually got roughly 10,000 -15000 more miles out of set than any other.
I had Yokahamas on my Tundra, they sucked. I bought Cooper Discoverers, I liked them so much I bought a set for my wife's Honda CRV. I'm sold on Coopers, they seem to last forever.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
My last set were cooper at3, got about 40k from those. Same for the bfg before that. Just installed Goodyear duratrak due to a great rebate. I've never gotten more than 40k from any tire. But I'm lifted on 315/75 16s. Might do better if I rotated more often though.
I've read that big o tires, and Mickey Thompson are also made by cooper but haven't verified that.

BrettKoenecke

Jun 28, 2013
I like Michelins as described further up in the thread. I am running Kumho Crugen right now and like them as well as the Michelins so far. We'll see how long they last but so far, so good. I run alot of highway miles but am off road now and again as well. I like quiet and I like gas mileage.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I want to thank everyone for sharing their opinions-certainly keep the thread going if you like.

I know a couple guys gave them the thumbs down, but Wally World had a deal on the Yokohama Geolandar ATs I couldn't refuse: $125/tire. ~ $650 installed. I also know ya get what ya pay for, but sometimes ya just have to try something new. They got put on late last week. Ask me again in a yr, but during this honeymoon trial I like them. I ran them in some gravel, light mud, and in a downpour and no complaints.

Not the most exciting piece of gear, but ya need tires to get out there-just sayin'...😉

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
my last set on my f-250 were BFGs. ten ply . they lasted well around 40,00 miles on em now, and it is about time to change them out. they did great in snow and mud but were somewhat loud on the highway. I didn't care . just turned up the radio and drowned it out. believe they were around 1200 bucks , 5-6 years ago though

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Good deal bud. Be sure to post back in several months or a year and let folks know your thoughts as I often research things like this on various forms and it’s nice to see real world results from people who were researching like I would be doing. This is always better than just some random post from someone who tried something five years ago - lol

About Eastmans'

• Eastmans’ is a three generation media based hunting company whose goal is to promote the pursuit of elk hunting, deer hunting and all western big game. Our mission is to educate and entertain along the lines of bowhunting and rifle hunting to provide sportsmen with the most up-to-date tactics, hunting gear and hunting area research for both archery hunting and rifle hunting in the West.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Follow us on Facebook