Truck Tires - on/off RD

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
So, I know this is a hunting site; but I value the opinions of the forum members much.

My tundra needs new tires. 255/70R18. I had Generals with more of a road tread, but am dissapointed in them. They seemed to have worn out faster than I expected; and really lacked it on mud, but did ok on gravel; snow was tolerable.

I want something with a more aggressive tread this time; but stil does decent for day to day pavement driving. I know dedicated off/on road tires would be the ultimate, but I don't have the cash for that right now. I could care less about road noise.

This is my short list:

Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT
Firestone Destination A/T2
Cooper Discover AT4S

Any others that I should be looking at?

Last edited:

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
I currently run bfg AT on my f150
On my tundra I ran the bfg rugged terrain

I really enjoyed both tires

I was considering the Goodyear’s myself but the reviews directed me back to bfg

Reactions: Prerylyon

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'll need to double check, but for some reason BFG's website only showed truck tires with pure road treads in 255/70R18 size. I know 18" steel rims are ghetto, but its what I got lol😂

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I've used Kumho Venture A/T on multiple vehicles. Average about 60k on them, handle snow, wet/dry road, mud real well, and are quite on the road.
I've also ran Michelin MS2 on trucks that are more apt to be on pavement more. Get around 90k from them, actually handle all the above really well, there okay in mud, but always have a set of chains on board just in case and are very quite.
Personally I'd rather just put a set of chains on a quite tire in mud or deep snow then rumble down the road with aaggressive tread tire.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
As I aged I got tired of the hum, extra cost, unable to find, and all the above for tires for my vehicles.

Instead I just switched to all terrines and have found that they work OK in most situations but if I need traction in mud, snow, or whatever I throw on the chains.

But if you want to check some others out check out the Tire Rack web site, just put in your tire size and a bunch will pop up.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
You can get a lot of "mud/sand" grip out of even basic tires just by lowering the air pressure. People that go 4x4ing do this all the time, but outside that crowd, a lot of folks don't seem to bother. I also carry a set each of traction boards and tire chains and those have saved my bacon SO many times.

That said I just put a set of BF Goodrich KO2 on my truck and love them. They're technically an all-terrain but they have nearly the same tread pattern as a mud tire (they're considered a hybrid, I guess). I've had really good luck with them both on the highway (2000-mi road trip to the East Coast) and in moderately slippery conditions. I haven't really tried them in deep mud yet only because it hasn't BEEN muddy since I got them, but I read/watched a ton of reviews before buying them and others have gotten good results out of them. If it matters, I drive an F150 FX4.

If you don't like that brand or can't get your size, another one I can recommend is the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. These get great reviews as well, and I have a friend that put a set on his Tacoma. He's taken them basically everywhere: sand dunes, slick-rock in Utah, moderate mud, etc. He has all the gear to air down and self-recover, but hasn't needed it. The tires are just beasts.

Don't forget when you get tires in this category you're going to lose mpg (I lost 2mpg or so) and increase road noise. It's just the trade you make over low-friction OEM tread patterns.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
When I lived off of the Dalton highway (haul road) a 450 mile gravel road, I went thru a bunch of different brands of tires. The only ones that never let me down were Coopers. They get my vote!
Similiar experience. When i was hauling around a big 40ft 4horse with living quarters trailer......the Coopers i had on the dually got roughly 10,000 -15000 more miles out of set than any other.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Michelin LTX M/S2 or LTX A/T2. Both tires are more than enough to get you through the minimal offroading you do, and are fantastic highway tires, that last forever. I usually get at least 75k miles out of mine, in fact, I think I've only actually replaced one set of Michelins, as every other set has outlasted the truck they were on.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Kelly Safari TSR....hands down the best all-around tire I’ve ever run and used to drive 50k/yr, consisting of muddy right-of-ways, limestone roads and highway. Got 40k out of a set on a 1 ton dually that weighed just shy of 13,000lbs. Went like hell in the mud, excellent road manners with no noise, and amazing wear.

That said,I just had to put Toyo RT’s on my duramax due to no 20” offerings from Kelly. We shall see but other folks I know love these Toyo’s. Being in the natural gas business I see tires destroyed all the time and our terrain is a great tire evaluator.

I had BFG’s on my tundra a few years ago and I can promise you I’ll never buy another set. Good wear, horrible traction.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I've always had good luck with BFG tires whether in mud-terrain or all-terrain. They are a very tough tire but they are pricey. My brother uses Cooper Discoverer tires on his truck and has great results and they are not nearly as expensive as BFG tires.

Johnbud

Jan 6, 2018
Wisconsin
I needed a new set of tires for my Yukon, getting ready for the run out to Wyoming in October. After doing my research, I bought a set of Bridgestone AT tires. Very happy with these tires. Aggresive tread and surprisingly quiet. Definitely worth a look.