Tripod for Backpacking?

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Tim I've been ready threw the old posts trying to find something that might work for me. This is how I settled on the tripod above. I'm not wanting one the extends so much that you can use it standing, just need something for when sitting and glassing. The other thing I'm unsure about is the rated support weight of it is high enough for my spotter.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Well, if that is what you are concerned about, the web site you shared says it will support 8.8 pounds. I have 3 different Manfrotto's. All are quality and support my glass fine. In each case I am using glass about 1/2 or less of the stated capacity. Since the one you referenced says it will support 8.8 pounds, I'd guess it will work great for your 65mm scope.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
This is why suggested the outdoorsman site. Vortex makes one that I have and I'm not sure the model but I use it sitting or standing. It's less than a 100$.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Tim, I wasn't sure how accurate the 8.8lbs would be. Thanks for the help.

Pete thanks for the suggestion, I guess I'm not seeing the $100 tripod your talking about.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
Some thoughts on the tripod you asked about- just by looking at the specs:

55" is kinda 'no mans land'. Not tall enough for standing, but a lot more than needed for sitting. So you're carrying un-used weight. You could save close to a pound (and some money) by going with a comparable quality ~44" max height tripod that's plenty tall for sitting on the ground or on a rock, log, etc.

Some like ball heads, some prefer pan heads. Pan heads allow you to be more precise in glassing using the grid method (allows scanning in the X and Y axes independently), and lend themselves better to one-handed use. Someone else can chime in on the benefits of a ball head... not really sure what they are.

The ability to lock the legs at multiple angles is a good trait, although you'll find that option in almost all tripods in your price range. It's not often that you'll have all of the legs set at the same angle in the field.

You're on the right track looking at carbon. Lighter, quieter, stronger.

Beware of 44"+ tripods weighing less than 1.5 lbs (legs only). Technology just isn't there yet to offer a stable foundation and good durability without being over about 1.5 lbs. You have a great scope that deserves a sturdy tripod. Not that the one you're looking at falls into this category, just a rule of thumb while you're shopping.

Don't be afraid to buy legs and head separately. For example you could get SLIK 624 CFL legs and a really good head of your choice for about the same price as the tripod/head combo in your link above. Unfortunately, the SLIK CF tripods gained a little weight when they switched to lever locks instead of twist locks.

Another pretty nice carbon setup that surprisingly hasn't gained a lot of traction yet is Sirui. We got a few of them at the office to check out last year and some of the guys have been using them since with good things to say.

Last edited:

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Ball head advantages? Weight. That's the only reason some guys go with them.

Todd has great points and I have to throw in oben tripods as well. I believe they are made by same people who makes sirui (look almost identical)

You can take a 700rc2 pan head which is fairly light to begin with and modify it to lose a little more weight.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Idcwby, sorry about not giving you the vortex product name of my tripod. It is the vortex high country tripod. The carry weight is 2.2 lbs with max weight of 5 lbs. My spotter is vortex razor 11x33x50. I wanted a light weight tripod that I could carry that didn't break the bank. Good luck. It also has a ball head. The vortex site cost is $105 I think but I got it for 79.99

Last edited:

UB-AZ

Dec 17, 2013
AZ
I am a huge fan of the Outdoorsmans tripods. Have multiple mediums and one compact. I bought the compact for doing some backpacking. Really only had it out once....worked great!. Yes they a bit more expensive, but I've never had a problem nor any issue with what I put on top. The med's I've used their dual mount with Leica 77 APO and Swaro's 15x56...that is about as top heavy that can be supported. To be honest though..... If I had to walk away I put the center post down so center of gravity was better as not to fall over.

I have both pan heads and ball/joy stick... If I have to pack in.... the joy stick is best. Quick and light. I can use a spotter on the joy stick, but if using dual I prefer the pan.

Just my $.02