Trip to Anchorage help

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Planning a family trip to Anchorage, AK in June. Will have 6 days to to enjoy. I was thinking a trip over to Seward for a day halibut fishing trip. Maybe better options or advice on who to contact. My two sons and I would like to fish. My wife will not want to fish, As important as what to do I always like to ask what not to do. We plan on renting a small SUV and willing to drive the heck out of it to see what we can see. We would like to make the most of the time we have.
I know we have at least one local on the site, but maybe others that have been could also help.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I am sure Bob (AKaviator) will answer you as he lives in Anchorage.

My wife and I spent a month there in 2019. We rented a cabin (on a lake) just south of Saldotna on the Kenai and loved the area. Don't miss Homer as it is a beautiful place. We fished Halibut and Kings in the early run. We also caught some real low tides and dug a bunch of giant Razor Clams. Your time will be limited with only 6 days, it will just get the juices flowing to go back. We were going back last year, but Covid put a stop to that.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
CC Did you go on charter fishing trip? I know nothing about clams other than I love me some fried clam strips. Looking at staying in a motel in Anchorage. Cabin would be nice, but know nothing about what might be available. That is why I am inquiring.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
We rented ours thru VRBO. Yes we went on a charter. Unfortunately the guy we went with retired. A lot of the charters launch over the beach at Ninilchik part way down the Kenai. There are also a lot of charters at Seward. If you havn't decided on the dates, you might want to check the tide tables for a minus tide during the morning.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Planning a family trip to Anchorage, AK in June. Will have 6 days to to enjoy. I was thinking a trip over to Seward for a day halibut fishing trip. Maybe better options or advice on who to contact. My two sons and I would like to fish. My wife will not want to fish, As important as what to do I always like to ask what not to do. We plan on renting a small SUV and willing to drive the heck out of it to see what we can see. We would like to make the most of the time we have.
I know we have at least one local on the site, but maybe others that have been could also help.
Great that you and your family are coming up. For me, the best thing about visiting Anchorage is getting away from it and exploring Alaska.

A fishing trip from Seward is a good choice. June is a good time for halibut and rockfish and maybe a King salmon. I prefer going on either Profish-N-Sea or Cracker Jack charters. The Fish House is a good option also. For halibut, you might avoid the tides that are the "biggest". June 9-13 have big tides and 22-28 are really big tides. The halibut are still there and still bite, but it's hard to keep the bait on the bottom without using heavy weights.

If you want to try clamming, those 22-28th tides are the ticket. Charter a boat to take you across Cook Inlet to the west, the boat goes dry on the low tide and you jump out and dig clams until tide tide comes back in and refloats the boat. I can be a lot of work but, if you like clams, it might be worth it. Check out C.C's post. He and his wife did well and clobbered some good fish.

Another recommendation, depending on your budget, is to drive north to the town of Talkeetna. From there you can charter a "flight-seeing" trip of Mount Denali. Get one with a glacier landing, you'll be glad you did and remember it the rest of your life.

Going south to Homer is a good drive. About 5 hours out of Anchorage. You could charter a bear viewing flight or go fishing. It's a interesting town to visit. Your wife won't have any trouble site-seeing and shopping in either Homer or Seward, if she isn't interested in fishing.

In Anchorage, you can rent bicycles and tour around some of the fantastic trails that circumnavigate the city. The Tony Knowles coastal trail is a fun ride and your bound to see moose, probably at close range and maybe even some bears.

Let me know what interests you and I'll help out however I can.

Last edited:

Rob Sev

Dec 12, 2020
I was up there the last 2 summers and hired a charter called Reel Salty. They are a young couple out of Ninilchik who are eager to show you a good time. We rented a bed and breakfast near there. It was pretty reasonable and there is an awesome view from the backyard. on a clear day you can see 2 active volcanos across the bay.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Great that you and your family are coming up. For me, the best thing about visiting Anchorage is getting away from it and exploring Alaska.

A fishing trip from Seward is a good choice. June is a good time for halibut and rockfish and maybe a King salmon. I prefer going on either Profish-N-Sea or Cracker Jack charters. The Fish House is a good option also. For halibut, you might avoid the tides that are the "biggest". June 9-13 have big tides and 22-28 are really big tides. The halibut are still there and still bite, but it's hard to keep the bait on the bottom without using heavy weights.

If you want to try clamming, those 22-28th tides are the ticket. Charter a boat to take you across Cook Inlet to the west, the boat goes dry on the low tide and you jump out and dig clams until tide tide comes back in and refloats the boat. I can be a lot of work but, if you like clams, it might be worth it. Check out C.C's post. He and his wife did well and clobbered some good fish.

Another recommendation, depending on your budget, is to drive north to the town of Talkeetna. From there you can charter a "flight-seeing" trip of Mount Denali. Get one with a glacier landing, you'll be glad you did and remember it the rest of your life.

Going south to Homer is a good drive. About 5 hours out of Anchorage. You could charter a bear viewing flight or go fishing. It's a interesting town to visit. Your wife won't have any trouble site-seeing and shopping in either Homer or Seward, if she isn't interested in fishing.

In Anchorage, you can rent bicycles and tour around some of the fantastic trails that circumnavigate the city. The Tony Knowles coastal trail is a fun ride and your bound to see moose, probably at close range and maybe even some bears.

Let me know what interests you and I'll help out however I can.
Thanks for all the great information. Going to try and lock down my plans today. Just wondering I about some where to eat king crab. I did some checking and don't see any restaurants that offer it am I missing something.

Reactions: AKaviator

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Try the Club Paris in downtown. It's one of my favorite places.
Simon and Seafort's, Anchorage; Louie's steak and seafood in Soldotna is very good also.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Thanks. I don't expect anything to be cheep in Alaska.
One recommendation about buying seafood. Go to one of the businesses who process, smoke or can your fish. Their prices are pretty much in line with the markets, but their variety and quality is outstanding. We bought smoked salmon and prawns that were to die for and pretty reasonable.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Just to toss out a couple other places for dining... the Double Musky Inn, in Girdwood, is a favorite. I haven't had crab there but their French Pepper steak is incredible. They don't take reservations, so you may have a wait.

The Glacier Brewhouse in Anchorage is popular. Humpies diner is very popular also. If you're a pizza lover, the Moose's Tooth, is world class!

There is no shortage of good places to eat!

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Awesome info thank you. Son and I are spending a night in Anchorage before flying out to Kotz this fall!!! By the sounds of it I may have to do a more in depth study to nail down a place. Too many cool restaurant names that I want a shirt from now! Menu at Humpys looks great.

Last edited:

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Well the trip is all locked down now. Staying the first two nights in Anchorage, then a cabin for the next three nights in Kenai River area, onto Seward for halibut fishing trip, and then back to Anchorage for a night before flight out back home. I am taking my two sons 28, 17, the wife, and myself. You talk about a swift gust out of the pocket book.
One thing that I did not like is the cabin rental place charged an up front $1,500.00 damage deposit, $175.00 cleaning fee, and $95.00 service fee. This is the first time I have used VRBO. Is this common?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Well the trip is all locked down now. Staying the first two nights in Anchorage, then a cabin for the next three nights in Kenai River area, onto Seward for halibut fishing trip, and then back to Anchorage for a night before flight out back home. I am taking my two sons 28, 17, the wife, and myself. You talk about a swift gust out of the pocket book.
One thing that I did not like is the cabin rental place charged an up front $1,500.00 damage deposit, $175.00 cleaning fee, and $95.00 service fee. This is the first time I have used VRBO. Is this common?
Dang. I've only used Air BnB and never had anything like that.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I've never used them, that seems excessive!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Nope. We used VRBO for our rental near Soldotna in 2019 and didn't have to pay any damage deposit and no cleaning deposit. The owner had our credit card and could have charged it for cleaning if we left it a mess. I think each rentor does their own thing when it comes to those charges and policies.

We also used VRBO for a condo rental in Hawaii and had nothing like you experienced.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
We fished with Scott Liska out of Seward and caught several in the 150 lb range halibuts and a lot of salmon/rock fish. We stayed in a VRBO in Seward. His number is 907 360 2375

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Where would be a good area to see a brown bear. I was thinking the Russian falls trail. I know we are to early for the spawn, but are bears feeding on the river this time of year. I plan on taking my clippers and try to get some whisker hair from a brown bear. :cool: