travel insurance

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
Does the group have any suggestions on what Company a person should go through to purchase travel insurance for an upcoming elk hunt?

Thanks
Gman

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I would contact your local insurer for your home or auto and see if they off any travel insurance. Also if you are using a outfitter check with them also.

When I went to Africa I purchased some but the company mostly dealt with international travel instead of local.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I know a group of 4 guys from PA that made it to Wyoming from 25 years ago and when they came outside in the morning from their hotel all of their gear was gone from the back of their truck. And I mean everything.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I know a group of 4 guys from PA that made it to Wyoming from 25 years ago and when they came outside in the morning from their hotel all of their gear was gone from the back of their truck. And I mean everything.

I know they wished they had insurance. They had to return home as they couldn't afford to replace everything.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Like JimP advised, contact your local insurer to see what they can provide from a travel policy/trip cancellation standpoint. Your homeowners policy should cover your contents that you're taking with you, subject to your deductible, and any special limits (usually your guns). If your home policy doesnt cover contents while they're away from the residence, find a different insurer.

BrettKoenecke

Jun 28, 2013
I have never thought of using travel insurance for hunting...what coverage is there which you don't already have with your current insurer?

Dos Perros

Jul 1, 2015
I lost about $3500 worth of stuff when it came off a trailer in the middle of the night in South Dakota. We doubled back and couldn?t find it. My homeowners policy only covered theft and not loss so I was screwed. Was too young and naive to push the issue, but I have since switched insurers.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
There are at least two separate insurance issues here. Probably more...

One is your gear. For gear, ask for what is often called a floater policy. It moves with the gear. Good for diamond rings, guns, optics etc. Higher values items. Most any local insurance person can provide this coverage.

The second and very separate issue is insurance for the trip. Essentially insures your trip/guide fees. Like travel insurance you may buy for a cruise. Your local insurance person is unlikely to offer this coverage, but may.

If you are towing a trailer, bringing atv/utv/cycles, more insurance is needed to cover issues, theft, liability, collision, etc...

TheGrayRider

May 26, 2018
Midwest/South
Good thread. Makes me think about the upcoming fall hunts. I always keep the valuables like guns, scopes, binos, etc. inside the truck. Plastic items like ice chests get placed in thebed of the truck. If I stay in a hotel for a night I always try to bring in as much as possible to prevent theft. Lucky so far.