Transporting meat out of the field?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Yes that true for much of Alaska I believe.

Ex: Unit 13,23,24 Our caribou hunt this fall we will bring out 4 quarters, ribs whole, back straps, loins, brisket and neck meat. Once back at the hangar we will debone to ship home.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I knew Alaska required the ribs, but I wasn't sure if you had to take the whole ribs, bone in, or if you could do the rib roll method. With the rib roll I could see it turning into a pretty good chunk of ground meat. Or even get adventurous and trim it up nice then do something smoked with it.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Yes that true for much of Alaska I believe.

Ex: Unit 13,23,24 Our caribou hunt this fall we will bring out 4 quarters, ribs whole, back straps, loins, brisket and neck meat. Once back at the hangar we will debone to ship home.
Correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds like adding at least one pack out trip for just the bone. So why the requirement? I don't normally get rib meat on deer or antelope. Or I should say the meat in between the rib bone. I get everything else and would not have a problem cutting the meat out of the ribs. I have no problem following the rule. Just trying to understand the reason behind it.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Leaving the meat on the bone is a regional, not statewide regulation. The theory behind it is that "boned-out" meat has a propensity to spoil quicker, with more surface area exposed to air, dirt, water, etc.

The requirement to take the rib meat has been on the books for many years and probably was created to address moose ribs. There is a lot of meat on moose ribs. But, it does apply to all big game species. The law, I believe it was enacted by the state legislature and is law. If Fish and Game created it, it would be regulatory, as opposed to statutory and easier to tweak or change.

Fish and Game regulations in Alaska are complicated. Some are statewide, others are big game management unit specific. The process of creating them is very public and gets political. There's not often an easy answer as to why a law or regulation was adopted and the regulations can change frequently. You'll want to study up on your area before you go!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds like adding at least one pack out trip for just the bone. So why the requirement? I don't normally get rib meat on deer or antelope. Or I should say the meat in between the rib bone. I get everything else and would not have a problem cutting the meat out of the ribs. I have no problem following the rule. Just trying to understand the reason behind it.
Dont think an extra trip is needed for the caribou. Moose yes.

Reactions: AKaviator