Traditional archery question

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Any guys on here recurve or longbow guys? I picked back up a recurve and really want to hunt this year with it. It’s really fun to shoot. The recurve is what I started on when I was 10 years old, but obviously got into the compound bow.
My question, do you guys tend to go with a heavier broadhead, like 150? I shoot 100gr heads out of my compound, but I always was under the impression to go heavier with traditionals.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
What draw weight are you pulling? Spouse and I both shoot 125 gr heads, 50# and 60# bows with wood arrows.
Get your spine right and various heads will fly ok.
I took a shiras moose with my recurve and 100 gr broadheads many years back. Penetration was fine, surprisingly good actually. 2 blades for us, cut on contact not chisel point.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I’m pulling 55#. I was leaning towards a 2 blade cut on contact blade. I’m shooting an Easton carbon arrow. A guy set the whole thing up for my dad when he bought it. Him and I were both the same draw length. Since I started shooting it last year, it feels good and flies good with field points

Bullcan

Oct 6, 2016
I see you are from WI. Comptons has their annual rendevous in June in Berrien Springs, MI. I am only an hour from there so I go every year and camp. There are quite a few trad dealers there and many people to pick their brains.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I’m pulling 55#. I was leaning towards a 2 blade cut on contact blade. I’m shooting an Easton carbon arrow. A guy set the whole thing up for my dad when he bought it. Him and I were both the same draw length. Since I started shooting it last year, it feels good and flies good with field points
I've shot recurves for 20+ years and have shot 125 grain heads the whole time, and have shot the same heads out of my compound. The 125s with great in both. I mostly shoot a Black Widow that, at my draw length, is 62 lbs at full draw. I sometimes shoot an old Ben Pearson, too.

The brands of heads over shot over the years is far and wide but all have been 3-blade chisel points have have taken around 15 animals with them.

The biggest consideration is this: whatever you choose to shoot, shoot it well. It will do the job. Confidence in your setup is key.

Have fun and good luck with it! Traditional archery is a great time!!