Tonight is last chance .....

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I may need to start another thread in a year of so when I go to Montana to hunt as I'll probably need a hunt partner unless I go solo. :cool:
I've done is several times in the past, but its a long way solo across the map....

Reactions: marcusvdk

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Side note, not sure it'll be answered here.... was wondering if...

could a non-res draw a big game elk/deer combo in MT and just hunt a general unit and keep all their elk/deer bonus points?
ie. not draw a limited entry deer or elk tag and then just hunt a general tag/unit...?

thanks.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I think only if you were to pick up said tag as a left over and not in the actual draw. If you enter the draw- you will be using any points you have accumulated.

Unfortunately, recent years there have been little to no tags after the actual draw.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Side note, not sure it'll be answered here.... was wondering if...

could a non-res draw a big game elk/deer combo in MT and just hunt a general unit and keep all their elk/deer bonus points?
ie. not draw a limited entry deer or elk tag and then just hunt a general tag/unit...?

thanks.
You can do this. The combo license uses preference points and is a separate draw. This license is good for any and all general units. The permit uses your bonus points and is only good for the limited area you applied for. Drawing a combo license will not affect your bonus points.

The caveat is you are not even eligible for the permit drawing until you draw the general combo. i.e. you can't draw a LE permit without drawing the combo license 1st.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Edit: The post above applies to NR. Residents don't have to draw any of the general combo tags. They just go to MTFWP and buy the elk, deer, or elk/deer general license. Living the dream!

Reactions: HuskyMusky

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
Edit: The post above applies to NR. Residents don't have to draw any of the general combo tags. They just go to MTFWP and buy the elk, deer, or elk/deer general license. Living the dream!
Absolutely! The resident , sportsmen's tag with or without bear is fantastic.