Tips on elk scouting.

OrangeHill 25

Dec 28, 2014
Eastern Colorado
When looking at maps, what are some things you look for? I've got a unit picked out and have been looking at topo maps and Google earth. When is the best time to plan a trip to the unit to scout?

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
july or august, I like august scouting. depends on what style of hunting you are wanting to do. wanna get away from crowds? look for places with good water, lots of cover and feeding and bedding areas. timber, aspens, small meadows in middle of cover. first year hunting? elk hunting?

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
I usually will start scouting in the end of July and make more frequent trips the closer to the end of August before archery season begins. The bulls will act differently throughout the different phases of the rut and post rut as their "needs" change. I'd advise that you look into getting Mike Eastman's book on elk hunting as it has some pretty good info on the subject. Are you planning on archery hunting or rifle hunting?

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
If you have hunted elk before, look for similar terrain features/habitat as you found them in before on your map. A call to a warden/biologist will usually give you some drainages to start with.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming

Here's an example of one area that I hunt. (there are many variables to where they like to hang out and why) The circled red areas are bedding areas, the green are feeding areas, and the blue is water. Actually, you'd never realize it from Google Earth, but there's quite a bit more vertical relief than it appears. Also, from the time of year that the image was taken it also makes it look more arid than it actually is. Basically, you'll need to go check areas of interest and you should be able weed out ones that don't have much sign and concentrate on ones that offer more promise. This particular area is also surrounded on three sides by private where they can escape to if the hunting pressure gets too high.