Time to cash in my elk points

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
With point creep the way it is I've finally decided to cash in my points and not continue to chase the units that are in my opinion at 57 yrs old not catchable. I've narrowed my research down to four hunts in no particular order.

Unit 67 Muzzy
Unit 49 Muzzy
Unit 49 1st Rifle
Unit 76 3rd Rifle

Just looking for some general feedback, personal experience or opinions.

Thanks guys,
Chuck

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Just curious how many points do you have? Unless you apply for a hard to get unit as a hybrid tag. Check out the units that offer them.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Yes you might as well use them because you will never catch up in your lifetime. My son has 19 and he is only 40 and may never be able to hunt the better units with a rifle early season. Pick a unit and go have a great time.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I looked at draw odds on hunterstrailhead.com which is a draw odds website I pay for and it shows 67 muzzy taking 11 points for a 50% chance at drawing and 12 points for 100% draw. It also shows unit 76 3rd rifle needing 11 points to draw as well. You can draw either unit 49 tag with 10 points. Both of those hunts require 10. These are all NR statistics. I didn't check the draw info on the Colorado G and F website but that is what the draw odds look like. So if hunterstrailhead.com is correct then that should narrow your search down for you. If you do put in for unit 49 then you should do well. That unit has some great bulls. Good luck in the draw this year.

Roamer

Aug 15, 2014
Dillon Colo
Don't know anything about 67 or 76 but if You decide on 49 let me know.
I grew up there and know it very well , lots of great bulls and awesome country.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I feel your pain, I have 16 pts. and pondering what to do ?
You are roughly 2 points from catching unit 76 muzzy and you already can draw a first season 76 rifle bull tag. You also are 1 or 2 years from a unit 61 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rifle tag. Crazy that 16 points doesn't get what it used to.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Right now I think i'm leaning towards 49 first rifle but still have a little time left, thank you IGWT for taking time out of your day to provide some info and also Roamer for offering up some intel, i'll def be shooting you guys a PM for some follow up.

Thanks again,
Chuck