This is why...

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
This is why I'm so reluctant to give info to new members.
New guy sends me PM asking about some of the areas I've posted about in NV. I figured I would wait a while to see if he stuck around and participated on the forum.
His PM was on Jan. 23rd and the last time he was on the forum was on Jan. 24th. Needless to say he never made a single post on the forum.
It just chaps my 🍑 :mad:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There are quite a few like that.

I have received PM's from members who have been around for a long time with zero post.

I wish that there was a way to see the number of PM's that they have sent out looking for information

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
One good thing about being an Oregon resident. I don’t have to worry about anyone asking me about hunting here.
I have been on here since2012 ( I had to start over this year due to login issues) and did get help from this site in Wyoming years back. I have 7 points for deer, elk and antelope in Wyoming and Nevada. I have sent a couple messages out for Nevada and did get good feedback. I will likely reach out to more for next fall. This site has been a staple for mefor 8 years and rarely do I research hunting here. It’s very entertaining to me and a lot of great guys here.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I get it and don't blame you. Ive been on here for years and just recently been getting more involved. Its a lot to learn when you don't know anyone in the east who has ever made a trip out there. Points , draw odds, not only is every state different but units within the state. Its quite the undertaking to try and figure it out. So ive always done more lurking than anything. I have pmed some guys this year now that i think i have somewhat figured it out and they have been very helpful. Ive tried to be respectful and not ask the same stuff that ive seen on here year after year. I do understand the frustration you guys have. I don't know how many times ive read why don't you go over to the introductions first ....

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
There are quite a few like that.

I have received PM's from members who have been around for a long time with zero post.

I wish that there was a way to see the number of PM's that they have sent out looking for information
I get this a lot! I live in the east as well so I must really talk a good game. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: JimP

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I live in the east and don't get a lot of PM's looking for info. However there's a certain unit I got super lucky and drew in NM. I get 10+ PM's from guys every year about that one. I promise I didn't have it figured out in 5 days. If I did, I wouldn't have driven back with empty coolers!

Honestly I try to draw good tags but so far my best hunts have been OTC or leftovers...I hope that changes this year.

Thanks to all the guys who have answered my PM's over the years. Some guys even offer info via PM without asking.

Reactions: Bonecollector

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
If the person is really new, I sometimes just simply point them in a north south direction of the hunt area at the most.
There's definitely some that I just ignore though.

Reactions: Mule3006Elk

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
After hearing story after story, similar to this, in one way or another, why would anyone ever give their good hunting ground coordinates to anyone?

I know anyone who does so means well. I truly believe that!

One must accept the lazy mentality. If someone wants free/easy information they will share with others who also want free/easy information. It's in their DNA.

The only person who knows where I hunt is my son and my hunting partner. Both of them put in the work to find the spots with me. Maybe I value the spot too much because I never asked anyone for help. We researched, boots on the ground, glassed, and eventually sorted it out. Why would I ruin a good thing?

Best way to ruin your valued, hard-earned spot, is to share it.

Now, if it's a controlled hunt that I rarely get drawn for, I am more open to helping out.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
After hearing story after story, similar to this, in one way or another, why would anyone ever give their good hunting ground coordinates to anyone?

I know anyone who does so means well. I truly believe that!

One must accept the lazy mentality. If someone wants free/easy information they will share with others who also want free/easy information. It's in their DNA.

The only person who knows where I hunt is my son and my hunting partner. Both of them put in the work to find the spots with me. Maybe I value the spot too much because I never asked anyone for help. We researched, boots on the ground, glassed, and eventually sorted it out. Why would I ruin a good thing?

Best way to ruin your valued, hard-earned spot, is to share it.

Now, if it's a controlled hunt that I rarely get drawn for, I am more open to helping out.
I generally agree with you...But there are exceptions for me. I am 78 (be 79 in Oct) and don't have all that many years left to hunt. I have given information about some of my spots (Wyoming, Colorado & California) to people here on the forum that I trust. Why would I do that? They all take a ton of points and I will never live long enough to hunt them again. You youngsters should keep your hard earned hot spots close to your vest, but us old folks can give out some information to folks who have earned our respect.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I generally agree with you...But there are exceptions for me. I am 78 (be 79 in Oct) and don't have all that many years left to hunt. I have given information about some of my spots (Wyoming, Colorado & California) to people here on the forum that I trust. Why would I do that? They all take a ton of points and I will never live long enough to hunt them again. You youngsters should keep your hard earned hot spots close to your vest, but us old folks can give out some information to folks who have earned our respect.
I am STILL a spring chicken next to you but I enjoy helping someone out now and then. same as you IF they earn my respect . will not just give away tips to anyone . but if someone has shown me they are not lazy and willing to put in the work and show some discretion on who THEY in turn, pass the info on to. I will help.