The Whitetail Success Thread

cparisf

Sep 1, 2017
High School Senior Trip:
I took my son to Wyoming for his senior trip in October. To sum it up, we made memories of a lifetime!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I got an old broke up 10pt Sunday morning. It was the dominant buck of the main area I hunt, a giant bodied buck that I think was 6 but may have been 7 this year. It was a foggy, damp morning and I have caught bucks moving later several times on days like that. I came back from hunting another area and my wife told me about the buck she saw cross a field of ours a little earlier. I knew when she described it what buck it was and where it was headed so I hustled out to get ahead of it. I ended up being just in time, the buck and I spotted each other as I was glassing for him and he took off.

I had the new long range 264WM out as my normal 264 was having scope issues. The heavy rifle felt light as the adrenaline hit and I swung on him and dropped him at 150yds as he ran toward the creek. The 143gr ELD-X took him through the front shoulder and fragmented. It did not exit, but it did the job and the buck didn't take another step. The bullet starts out from that rifle at 3240fps so it would have still been going around 3000fps when it hit.

It wasn't my best buck but it was a mature one and a buck I wanted to take out of the herd so I was happy. He would have been in the mid 140's before breaking his G1 and G2 from what he measured and the trail cam pics I have from earlier. He has a 20" inside spread but average mass and short tines. It was an exciting hunt during a season that has been really slow. The supermoon and warm, windy weather has limited daylight movement. I was happy with the result. Best part is that I started marinating back straps Sunday after I got him processed and we got to eat them tonight, great meal!

DSCF7045.jpg

ThreeTikkas

Mar 24, 2012
Had a good season again on the old "Crick" hill. Rutting activity was still cooking the first week of the season. Scrapes were being kept open and does were still being chased. I put in the time on the stand. Mid day activity was high,and the deer were on their daily patterns. Where my stand is located,hunter pressure is low. No one traverses the cricket hill. It's a huge expanse of devils club and brier. I'm watching an old gas well site and access road. The only opening in the red brush for hundreds of yards. At 11:45 on Fri,a doe came out of the brush. Obviously ragged,mouth open and being pursued. I heard the grunts and saw the rack threading through the red brush behind her. He got clear and there was no question he was a shooter.

Pretty tickled with him. As nice an eight point as I could hope for.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Had a good season again on the old "Crick" hill. Rutting activity was still cooking the first week of the season. Scrapes were being kept open and does were still being chased. I put in the time on the stand. Mid day activity was high,and the deer were on their daily patterns. Where my stand is located,hunter pressure is low. No one traverses the cricket hill. It's a huge expanse of devils club and brier. I'm watching an old gas well site and access road. The only opening in the red brush for hundreds of yards. At 11:45 on Fri,a doe came out of the brush. Obviously ragged,mouth open and being pursued. I heard the grunts and saw the rack threading through the red brush behind her. He got clear and there was no question he was a shooter.

Pretty tickled with him. As nice an eight point as I could hope for.

Real neat buck. He has some character

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
Just got home from a week at the camp in MS. Was able to get it done midday on 1 of the 2 target bucks. My wife also got her 2nd buck and 1st deer without me in the stand with her. Nephew also made a great shot on his best buck. 1st week of January is always fun!

Last edited:

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
Nice deer I love the tine length on your buck. MS can grow some nice bucks. You hunting in the Delta?
Thank you! No sir, our camp is on the Alabama side. Not like the Delta but decent genetics. There is a bad one horn problem as you can tell from my wife's deer. They kill a few every year with 4 or 5 on one side and a spike or just a fork on the other side. This is one my other nephew killed the other day.

Last edited:

Dr.Swat

Feb 24, 2013
No, there are not more whitetails in Idaho than mule deer. Check the harvest statistics provided by the Idaho Department Fish and Game concerning deer harvest. Mule lead the harvest each year. How long this will last is anyone's guess.