The Three Most Practical Exercises for Western Big Game Hunting...

Redbowman

Jan 18, 2016
Its running, sit ups, heavy pack hikes and lots of stretching (basic yoga) for me. And it began Jan 1, usual takes me 6 months to get in mountain shape.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Squat, run(slowly;), hiking with a weighted pack.

Thinking about mixing it up this year and focusing on curls instead. Help with those hero grip n grins and Instagram posts.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
One exercise I started doing a few years ago is shoulder shrugs. It really helped to keep me from getting sore shoulders when packing out elk quarters. It also cut down on the fatigue of having a daypack with my water bladder and a rifle hanging off my shoulders for a week climbing the mountains. I also go to my tip toes when I have my shoulders at their highest position to work my calves.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Hiking, stair stepper, and hiking

My lead technician is going to Nepal this December for a trek with a group of people for 2 weeks. He doesn?t own a backpack and doesn?t hunt or go to the mountains at all. I am going to help him train and get into hiking shape with a 30 lb pack.
They will have stops for food and water so his pack will be a bit lighter then usual for a week in the mountains.
We will be hiking and trail running, (more like a fast walk, I don?t run, bad knees) with a pack. This will get us both ready since we will start this summer and do some weekend coyote trips in the mountains and get him some experience for what he is getting into.

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
Spend spring and summer months on my road bike (30-40 mile rides) and ride my mountain bike at higher elevations (15-20 mile rides). Do some walking with my pack on my back about 5 miles loaded with about 25lbs of lead shot (bagged lol).
Also, spend time at gym (3 days week) lifting weights lightly. My leg strength and cardio are my thing.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Walking/running lots and lots of stairs always seems to help me get ready for all the up and down inclines. I live in a pancake flat area of Nebraska so no hills to use in my workouts...
X2.

Carry a 40# pack up and down the stairs until you are out of breath and your legs are burning. Do that every day before your trip for a month or two and you'll outperform most people on the mountain.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
I'm quickly getting on the wrong side of middle age, and have discovered that youth isn't very helpful in helping me get up the mountain anymore. As a flat lander I don't use the muscles on a daily basis that are required for gaining elevation. I've been trying to run more and hike with weight as much as possible, but still mix in a good amount of picking up and moving heavy things also.

1. weighted lunges
2. deadlifts
3. squats

I heard some famous elk killer/workout guru say one time, "An elk hunter is built from the quads up."
I believe that he was right on that one.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Push Aways... kinda like benchpress but all you need is a table, chair and correctly portioned meals; when done with the meal plant palms on the table edge and push, if done correctly your chair will slide away from the table creating adequate distance from your plate for you to then transition into a squat stand coupled with a pivot left or right and a deliberate walk away that preferably consists of around 10 -20 k steps.

For the beginner just start by placing the index finger of your dominant hand on the edge of your plate and extend your arm in a smooth controlled motion. Thus, "pushing away" the plate beyond normal arm's reach. Work toward the chair "push away" combined with the squat/stand/pivot/step. Done with consistency the exercise program will have astonishing results.

Stay tuned for my "No Thank You" self talk psychological reform protocol.